Water Profile For My Sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Logo

Reaction score
Need help!

Creating a Blueberry Sour and need some water profile help... what's a good base water profile using Bru'nWater?

Whats a good profile for sour beers in general?

Here's my recepe:
8 lbs Plisner
4 Wheat Malt
1 lbs 9 oz Flaked Oats
1 lbs Lactose
Yeast: S05 + Lactobacillus

I suggest higher chloride, low sulfate, and I believe sours benefit from magnesium.

There are more specifics in this article:
https://***************.com/wiki/Sour_beer#Ingredient_suggestions

I'm really not the expert on drinking sour beer, but from my understanding the lactobacillus will adjust the pH by itself. Add enough of it to make the beer sour, and it will overpower whatever alkalinity and buffering capacity your water might have had. So, supposedly water is less critical than for other styles. But I'm sure the experts will chime in.

I'm really not the expert on drinking sour beer, but from my understanding the lactobacillus will adjust the pH by itself. Add enough of it to make the beer sour, and it will overpower whatever alkalinity and buffering capacity your water might have had. So, supposedly water is less critical than for other styles. But I'm sure the experts will chime in.
Adjusting water profiles is basically controlling the levels of flavor ions, controlling the level of calcium for yeast flocculation, and controlling mash and boil pH for various reasons. Lacto does not help with any of that.

The water profile is no less critical for sour beer, aside from the fact that higher alkalinity water can be used since a high amount of lactic acid used for adjusting pH is not a problem.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back