Water profile - any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrickar

Reaction score
Ok, besides going with a complete RO system and building my brewing water, or moving to a town with better profile, what should I do?

Calcium & Magnesium is total hardness = 45 mg/L
Bicarbonate = N/A
Sodium = 281
Sulfate = 400 mg/L
Chloride = 32 mg/L
PH = 8.0

Is this even enough info, or should I ask more questions or send for a report from Ward's?

you have 400 ppm starting sulfate in your water? Really?

And 281 ppm sodium??

Can you post where you are pulling this info from?

Edit: If these numbers are correct, you need to cut your water with RO water or build up from 100% RO water. Those number are unacceptable.

Yeah, I wouldn't use that. That high sulfate plus that high sodium is a recipe for not pleasant. Even for extract beers, I'd be either RO filtering it myself or just buying water.

you have 400 ppm starting sulfate in your water? Really?

And 281 ppm sodium??

Can you post where you are pulling this info from?

Edit: If these numbers are correct, you need to cut your water with RO water or build up from 100% RO water. Those number are unacceptable.

Email from the water dept was where that came from.

I filter the water and never drink it straight. I do make tea and stuff with it. I have been using those 5 gallon green jugs of water from Menards at 100%, which is probably RO or close to it. I have never tested it to see.

I have done two batches with tap water, one without Campden and one with. The first batch was meh. Second batch is pending...

I may get a Ward's report, just to see exactly what I am getting. I can send a Menard's bottled water sample too and see how close to RO it is.

Latest posts

Back