Water of Grain First

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackwhite

Reaction score
First batch of all grain in a few years. MO/fuggles smash. So I remembered putting the water in the mash tun first letting it settle on a temp then add the grain (all at once, oops?) but ended up with MANY dough balls. Much stirring smashing and wire whisking later I think I got them all.

So what can I do better next time?

Stir faster. ;) sounds like you did just what you were supposed to. Maybe have somebody slowly pour as you stir to ensure you break up the grain before it can turn into dough balls?

Sent from somewhere to someone

Stir faster. ;) sounds like you did just what you were supposed to. Maybe have somebody slowly pour as you stir to ensure you break up the grain before it can turn into dough balls?

Thats what I was thinking, or at least adding the grain in batches and stirring between. But should I worry about oxidation? Seems I read somewhere to be careful with agitating hot wort?

Thats what I was thinking, or at least adding the grain in batches and stirring between. But should I worry about oxidation? Seems I read somewhere to be careful with agitating hot wort?

I wouldn't be concerned. Hot side aeration is not really a concern. Especially on a Homebrew level.
Besides you only have mostly wet grains at this point hasnt become wort yet.

[QUOT E=jackwhite;5977811]Thats what I was thinking, or at least adding the grain in batches and stirring between. But should I worry about oxidation? Seems I read somewhere to be careful with agitating hot wort?

I wouldn't be concerned. Hot side aeration is not really a concern. Especially on a Homebrew level.
Besides you only have mostly wet grains at this point hasnt become wort yet.

Sent from somewhere to someone[/QUOTE]

Cool, Thanks!

Water first, let the temperature stabilize and reach desired temp, and then pour in 4-5 pounds of grain stir well, more grain more stirring, more grain more stirring until the desired mash temp is consistent throughout the mash.

water first, let the temperature stabilize and reach desired temp, and then pour in 4-5 pounds of grain stir well, more grain more stirring, more grain more stirring until the desired mash temp is consistent throughout the mash.

+1

Latest posts

Back