Water heater DIY advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
89801AB4-63FD-4C75-88D1-F861EFA9A74C.jpeg
The overheating sensor has been tripping on my electric water heater the past couple days.

My original plan was to just replace both thermostats, but then I saw this on the lower element when I went to snap a pick of the thermostat.

I’ve found a kit for replacing both thermostats & elements for just $35. I’m wondering, while I have it off & drained, should I replace the anode too?

My best guess at its age is 12 years, at least the user manual says 2007. I haven’t taken the earthquake strap off to get a full look at the label.

Last edited:
I would definitely replace the anode. Its lot in life is to be consumed, and you may be surprised when you go to remove the original one...

Cheers!

Thanks.

I kept feeling like if I didn’t replace the anode while I have it all apart, I’d regret it. It was only another $28.

By the time I got home from the store, it was dinner time, so I opted to put the repair off until tomorrow.

They don't call them "sacrificial anodes" for no reason :)
You can feel good about getting another 12 years out of your water heater...

Cheers!

I get between 10 and 15 years on a water heater. I've replaced 3 of them in my lifetime (one was just a month ago). All three times, they started leaking from the bottom, NOT at the elements. I assume they rusted through from the inside the tank. I can't believe they only last that long, but it's been my experience.

I mention this because I would not spend much time or money on a tank that was over 10 years old. Sure, if it was just a bad element, I might replace it (if you have the tool to remove the element, it's an easy job).

I’ve replaced two before, both rusted out the bottom.

This one looks to be in decent shape. I only started working on it because the overheating sensor kept tripping, which usually means a bad thermostat.

Then I saw all the deposits on the bottom element and thought, “I can buy a kit with everything for the price of two thermostats.”

Then I thought “the anode on a hot water heater might be analogous to radiator hoses on a car. If you need to replace one radiator hose, you might as well replace them both because if one is going bad, the other isn’t far behind. Just spend the extra money and save yourself having to do the job twice.”

I’m going to have to replace the drain valve too. Current status:

2 thermostats & 1 heating element down.

1 heating element, 1 anode, & 1 drain valve to go.

Well, I didn’t get any further. I was stripping the anode nut & I couldn’t get the bottom element unstuck.

I’ve got it back together & we’ll see if the thermostat change fixed the issue.

Also, I think I see a tankless is water heater in my future. Maybe my March bonus if this fix works. If not, my December bonus.

Latest posts

Back