Water heater closet - expert advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oujens

Reaction score
I recently moved to an older home and finding it hard to keep the upstairs AC unit from running all day. It's 100 degrees in TX, so it's been working overtime. I noticed the upstairs thermostat is positioned next to the water heater closet. There is no weather stripping around the door so hot air is entering the house and I think might be part of the reason why my thermostat won't turn off the unit during the day. Inside the closet there are two square holes in the wall at the bottom and top for ventilation. I'm curious if I should seal the door so the hot air does not enter the house, or if the closet was designed this way to get more airflow into the closet. My first instinct is to seal it since there are cent holes in the wall, but curious if some HBT experts can weigh in. Thanks!

I lived in Texas for two years. To paraphrase Robin Williams, in Texas it's not hot; it's damned hot!

Any time you allow hot air into your house the air conditioner has to work to cool that down. The trick is to prevent most of the air infiltration you can, and what you describe is a recipe for high bills and a too-warm house.

So--yes, esp. since that's the water heater closet, weatherstrip the door so that hot air doesn't enter the house.

In the winter, you may want to do the opposite, depending on what kind of fuel runs your water heater. If it's a gas water heater, then you may want the ventilation to the outside. If it's electric, then the last thing you want in the winter is cold air entering the water heater closet.

Hot water heater gas or electic? Ventilation may be a necessity if gas.

Start with insulating the hat water heater so that it runs less often. Turn the heat down on the heater as well, you may not need a super hot shower in Texas in the summer.

If your AC is running constantly, I don't think you hot water heater closet adjacent the the thermostat is the problem.

Look into your insulation.

Thanks, it is gas. There is a bedroom next to both that a temperature gauge reads cooler than the thermostat. I thought maybe the warm air from the closet might be causing an issue.

I wasn't planning on cutting the ventilation inside the closet, but put some weather stripping around the door and a door sweep to keep the air from entering the house.

Even in the Wild Wild West of Texas, I'm betting that space has to be ventilated by building code...

Cheers!

When you say that, are you indicating the door wasn't sealed off on purpose? There are two vents inside the closet that I will leave free of obstruction. I just think it can't be good if hot air is seeping in six inches from the thermostat. I would like to prevent that by adding foam weather stripping around the door frame.

As long as you have those exterior vents you should be fine to seal up that door, but as mentioned before that also means heat can't get in there in the winter, if you have those in Texas

Back