Water filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carbon block RV filter with garden hose threads on both ends.

Until my municipality when I live in OK switch to chloramides (without telling me) I just let my brew water stand overnight before brew day.

Carbon block RV filter with garden hose threads on both ends.

Until my municipality when I live in OK switch to chloramides (without telling me) I just let my brew water stand overnight before brew day.

The cheap walmart ones for under $20? They only filter to 100 microns. Have you noticed a difference in taste?

I cannot find it in my Amazon queue so I must have ordered it on the Ex-wife's Prime account. I seem to remember it being more like $32. I picked based off a lengthy thread on this forum. I see nothing exactly the same on Amazon.

Water filter need/selection is mostly based on what you have in your water that you do not want to have. In my case it is chlorine. Campden tablets would probably work just fine for me but a carbon block filter seemed more convenient.

I honestly do not taste my brewing water.

I mounted a whole house filter to the side of my brew stand, with a garden hose quick disconnect going in and a camlock fitting on the out, meaning I can hook up any of my brewing hoses to the "out" post of the filter. It's setup with a standard 9" 5 micron carbon filter has and 1/2" female threading on each end. The garden hose I use is a camco RV hose meant for potable water, only $25 for a 50' off amazon.

If using one of these filters it's important to keep the flow around 1 gpm to ensure the filter is doing it's job efficetively. I always fill the night before while I'm weighing out and crushing my grains.

I mounted a whole house filter to the side of my brew stand, with a garden hose quick disconnect going in and a camlock fitting on the out, meaning I can hook up any of my brewing hoses to the "out" post of the filter. It's setup with a standard 9" 5 micron carbon filter has and 1/2" female threading on each end. The garden hose I use is a camco RV hose meant for potable water, only $25 for a 50' off amazon.

If using one of these filters it's important to keep the flow around 1 gpm to ensure the filter is doing it's job efficetively. I always fill the night before while I'm weighing out and crushing my grains.

and have you noticed a change in taste in the end product of the beer? according to the cdc 5 microns wont remove chemicals.

It will remove chlorine if run at proper speed. Actually went to look up the specific filter I got and find out I can run it faster than I have been, haha.

It will also remove sediment, rust, iron and other odor causing chemicals.

I honestly haven't even brewed without it, but I can notice an improved taste running my tap water through a brita filter (we keep a couple pitchers in the fridge) so that's enough for me to do it for my beer as well.

most odor causing chemicals...like chlorine and even sulfur...will dissipate if allowed to stand over night. I once had a well with heavy sulfur water and tried a variety of filters before discovering this fact...

most odor causing chemicals...like chlorine and even sulfur...will dissipate if allowed to stand over night. I once had a well with heavy sulfur water and tried a variety of filters before discovering this fact...

This used to be true was chlorine was just chlorine. Now that they use Chloramines...things have gotten more complicated.

My city water only uses chlorine. I use a carbon block filter. The outcoming water tastes pretty good and I don't have any problems with it in my brew. I prefer to brew around the restrictions of my water instead of buying RO.

My city water only uses chlorine. I use a carbon block filter. The outcoming water tastes pretty good and I don't have any problems with it in my brew. I prefer to brew around the restrictions of my water instead of buying RO.

I never even bothered filtering when I had chlorine. I just filled my HLT the night before and let it sit. Free chlorine of come out of solution and Bob's your uncle.

Back