Water Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwaugh

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking to get a water filter for brewing and would appreciate any suggestions. I have Home Depot, Lowes and Menards all close by but I would like to see what other brewers are using.

Also, do the filters take a long time to process the water? I'm referring to the ones I've seen in pictures of people filtering right into their HLTs. How much time average are we talking to collect around 5 gallons for a reference. I've seen posts where some have said it takes "forever" to filter.

Currently i'm using my tap water that I treat with Campden for chlorine/chloramine. My beer has been tasting great since I started doing that (had a plastic taste when I first began) so should I even worry about filtering? Or just continue to use Campden and not worry about it.

I was filtering with a Brita filter but it took forever.

I recently installed this:ww.homedepot.com/p/t/100471282?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100471282&R=100471282#.UaUF8kCW-So

I am using these filters: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100034332?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100034332&R=100034332#.UaUGvkCW-So

I plumbed so that I can just turn a valve and fill my HLT directly.

I would like to go to a whole house Reverse Osmosis system but do not want to spend the $$ now.

I was filtering with a Brita filter but it took forever.

I recently installed this:ww.homedepot.com/p/t/100471282?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100471282&R=100471282#.UaUF8kCW-So

I am using these filters: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100034332?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100034332&R=100034332#.UaUGvkCW-So

I plumbed so that I can just turn a valve and fill my HLT directly.

I would like to go to a whole house Reverse Osmosis system but do not want to spend the $$ now.

I think I have the same filter system but I bought my filters off amazon (probably doesn't make a difference). I consider getting a second filter for outdoors though since running up and down the stairs with pots full of water is no fun!

@kh54s10: Do you need special adapters to add this to a garden hose?

I think I have the same filter system but I bought my filters off amazon (probably doesn't make a difference). I consider getting a second filter for outdoors though since running up and down the stairs with pots full of water is no fun!

I brew on my porch and have plumbed in a utility sink and the filter. I take the water from my outdoor spigot to the sink and filter via a RV hose (suitable for drinking water) which I disconnect and drain when not in use and in the winter so it doesn't freeze.

I agree transporting water to the brew place by pots sucks!

I bought a 3/4" whole house filter kit, with a pair of carbon filters, and the attachments to connect it to an RV hose. Cost $40, never had to buy bottled water again. I run it slow to maximize the carbon filtration, about 1/2 gal per minute. With all that's going on during a brew day, it doesn't slow anything down at all.

I bought a 3/4" whole house filter kit, with a pair of carbon filters, and the attachments to connect it to an RV hose. Cost $40, never had to buy bottled water again. I run it slow to maximize the carbon filtration, about 1/2 gal per minute. With all that's going on during a brew day, it doesn't slow anything down at all.

Where did you get your parts for this?

Here's mine. Sorry, I don't have all the part numbers but I got everything at HD. I do know the filter is GE and I use the carbon filters. The straps are aluminum that I made out of straight stock. I recently built a stand so I'm going to mount it with the original bracket that I saved, but this works perfectly fine as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/mobile-water-filter-6423.html

It was already mentioned in the thread but 1 - 2 GPM is the max rate at which you should flow to allow enough contact time with the carbon filter so that it can do its job. -Even if you can technically push water through faster, you shouldn't.

Adam

If you drain and remove the filter after use, and store it in a sealed baggie in the freezer, this will prevent any potential fungus/mold or other bad stuff from growing in the filter while sitting around between brew days.

Back