Water filter query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamfein

Reaction score
Hey all,

hoping someone can help me with this, I bought the attached

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/polypropylene-replacement-cartridge-1-um-p-4648.html

I have made two beers using this water filter and the finished beer has a distinct flavour coming from the filter itself.

Perhaps I have done something wrong here, I popped in the filter didn't prepare it before or anything,

Could someone point me in the right direction here?

There isn't much information about the filter on the web site but it seems to be for filtering sediments from the water supply. What is your purpose? Does this filter replace a charcoal filter for removing chloramines from a city water supply? The off flavor you are experiencing with the new filter could be chlorophenols from brewing with treated water after replacing the filter.

And the beer made prior to the filter use was ok? I always run a few pints/gallons through my carbon block before using it.

I do have a separate carbon block which I may switch out instead of the one im currently using, I ran about 3 gallons through it before first use but im getting a very noticeable filter taste/plastic taste from it.

You are showing me a sediment filter. It will not take chlorine or chloramines out of your brewing water, only dirt and sand larger than 5 microns. The plastic taste may be from the filter, or it may be an unrelated infection. Replace it with a carbon filter, run water through the filter for about 5 minutes before using it for brewing water, and be careful with sanitation. Good luck!

Thanks for that, VABeersnob, the filter comes with a carbon filter but I switched it out for the 1 micron filter in the attached in my original post, I presumed it was better than the carbon filter.

the website sells the 1 micron filters are replacements

The plastic should go away after runnung water through it but i think i had one in my water filter that was way worse.

Swapped brand and no plastic even ftom thr start. All filters reccomend you run water through them a bit.
I wouldnt use one for beer if running water through it tastes like plastic.

Are you trying to remove yeast from beer?

I use 3 filters connected together a sedement and two carbon for my brewing water. The sedement filter being cheaper and our town supply has dirt in it so i go through sedement filters but the more expensive carbon filters are still good after over a year of drinking and brewing water. The carbon of course are for ghe chlorine. I could go without thr sedement filter but then the sedement would clog up the carbon.

Plastic or Bandaid is said to be from Chlorine or Chloramine in the water. The sediment filter will not remove them. The carbon might but I have read you need to go really slow or have a really big filter.

Thanks guys, good advice, ill swap out the filter to the carbon filter,

Ill report back once used to show my findings

IMHO, treating your water with half of a campden tablet post filtering is a very inexpensive way to ensure no chlorine/chloramine remains.

This! ^
Cheap, quick, easy, and 100% removal.

One crushed quarter Campden tablet or 1/16 of a tsp of "Meta" per 5 gallons, and a good stir are all that's needed.

IMHO, treating your water with half of a campden tablet post filtering is a very inexpensive way to ensure no chlorine/chloramine remains.

As a matter of fact what is that filter filtering anyway?
You may as well skip it. Just use Campden/Meta.
That's what I do.

Back