Water chemistry with late grain additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rake_Rocko

Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of searching and can't find out much about this. I'm asking in general, for water adjustments, would you think it would be better to adjust like those grains didn't exist? Or would it be better to account for them even though they would be mixed in at the end of the mash just for color. I'm torn on this one. Any insight would be awesome! Thanks

Conversion occurs during the mash, so the mash pH is crucial. You still want to be aware of kettle pH but adding the grains late like that shouldn't affect that pH much. It's probably a very modest amount, like a pound or so I'd guess, so it wouldn't drop the pH that much and it's good to have a reduced sparge pH anyway.

Well I do full volume BIAB so I don't do any sparging. Thanks for the fast response. I was leaning towards the fact that the ph during the majority of the time of the mash would be the way to go and to maybe just take in to account a very slight drop from the late grain. An like you said yooper, the amount is actually less than a pound, so it is probably low enough that I would be good.

Back