water aborption

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stageseven

Reaction score
I've been doing a decent amount of reading on all-grain lately, and there's one thing I'm still not quite clear on. I've seen that you can figure on a certain amount of water getting absorbed by the grains. What I'm not clear on if whether you should use those figures to adjust the amount used for the mash or the sparge. I know either way you end up with the same amount in the kettle, but it seems like it would make a difference to the mash thickness depending on which way you go.

You don't adjust mash proportions based on absorption. For example, if you planned on mashing at 1.5qts/lb for 8 lbs of grain, you actually put 12 qts of water in but only get about 8 qts out. When you go to sparge, you'd put 4 gallons of water in and you'll get 4 gallons out. Or at least that's what works for my setup to get me roughly 6 gallons pre-boil. Some people need a higher pre-boil volume than that.

hal's got the numbers correct.

Essentially you lose .5 quarts of liquid into every pound of grain. If you mash at 1.5qts/lb, your available wort without any new additions is 1qt/lb.

There seems to be very little practical difference in the effect of mash thickness unless you're going for a very high OG beer. What if your grain bill is 18 pounds and you mash at 2qts/lb? Your available wort without any sparge at all is 6.75 gallons. Basically it's a no sparge for a 5 gallon batch. For that reason, I mash high gravity beers quite thick so that there's room for at least a bit of sparging.

On the other end of the spectrum, take hal's example. 8lbs of malt, 1.5 qts/lb, that's 3 gallons of strike. First runnings would be 2 gallons. That leaves at least 4.5 gallons of sparge you have to add. If you want to maximize batch sparge efficiency, you would either sparge in two steps of about 2.25 gal each OR add a gallon as a "mash out" addition prior to first runnings OR adjust your mash thickness so that the first runnings is closer to 3.5 gallons. All of those efforts are to get the runnings volumes close to equal.

Back