Wasted Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchias

Reaction score
I am in the fermenter with my first batch brewed. I brewed the NB Caribou Slobber which went smoothly. After placing in the fermenter the brew reacted vigorously with the yeast after 24hrs. It then has calmed down to a steady bubble in the airlock every minute or two. This seems to be normal with this brew pack From what i have researched so I am waiting patiently.

My question is during that vigorous phase in the fermenter a 1" to 1 1/2" tall cake has formed on the wall of the fermenter above the beer. Is it correct to say that this is lost yeast in the process?

Thanks

No, absolutely not. Yeast 'turnover' goes on in the yeast head/Krausen. It's formed by the most active yeast cells hitching a lift on tiny CO2 bubbles attached to the yeast cell. Little bit like a fish's swim bladder. During primary fermentation yeast cells are continuously entering and dropping out of the cap on top. The turnover. Some English ale strains ferment much better if roused back into the wort. This is why many traditional breweries in the UK recirculate fermenting wort in open vessels.

Edit: Reread your post properly. I think the cacked-on layer you're considering is just dry trub, including protein, pushed out of the wort by rising yeast cells and CO2 bubbles. Only a tiny fraction of the yeast population.

Last edited:
Just for S&G once I tasted that ring and it was like the bitterest thing ever, so not much in the way of yeast. In the UK don't they consider that brown layer on top to be the beer cleansing itself?

Back