Washing yeast with Jolly Pumpkins Dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrenum

Reaction score
Hi There,

Trying to come up with a house yeast.
Used 3 different strains to ferment in primary; Amalgamation and Sour Farmhouse Ale from Yeast Bay and WL Farmhouse Blend

I am planning to add Jolly Pumpkins Dregs to the fermenter after few days in Primary to sour the beers.

My questions is Once I decided on what combo I prefer and what to grow this. What would be the next steps? I am planning on washing the yeast and use it later but will it have the same characteristic I got or will it evolve to something else? Will one strains take over and undermine the other bugs?

Thanks for your input; your experience is invaluable!

Different "bugs" grow at different rates and at different times. Cell death is also strain dependent, some are hardier than others, and determined during which period(s) it has been in the beer.

So the culture will change its composition each time it's brewed with, and in the very end there will be only one strain standing: Brett!

Now that said, you could build and sustain your own cultures and add each to the beer at different rates and/or times to manipulate the results. Those could be considered your house "strains". There's quite a bit of information on this, also written between the lines on how different breweries apply fermentation strategies, in American Sours.

Different "bugs" grow at different rates and at different times. Cell death is also strain dependent, some are hardier than others, and determined during which period(s) it has been in the beer.

So the culture will change its composition each time it's brewed with, and in the very end there will be only one strain standing: Brett!

Now that said, you could build and sustain your own cultures and add each to the beer at different rates and/or times to manipulate the results. Those could be considered your house "strains". There's quite a bit of information on this, also written between the lines on how different breweries apply fermentation strategies, in American Sours.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. Makes sense.

Latest posts

Back