Washing Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DurangoMatt

Reaction score
After washing yeast, I have about 4 pint jars of yeast. So to save space I have combined like yeast into one pint jar. My questions is how much yeast do I need for a yeast starter? Should the line of yeast be 1/4 inch less/more? Let me know what you think.

Use MrMalty.com and their yeast calculator. There is a slurry tab that you can use to determine how much to use.

I understand the MrMalty calculator for 1500ml or 2000ml of yeast starter. What I am asking is how much yeast should I store in one pint jar?

I've dumped a half pint glass into a starter several times where there was only a thin line of white yeast and a lot more trub. The starter has always taken off without a problem.

I understand the MrMalty calculator for 1500ml or 2000ml of yeast starter. What I am asking is how much yeast should I store in one pint jar?

You can have a pint jar completely filled with yeast if you wish. I used to store about 300 ml of yeast in one jar. I have crude ml markings on the outside of the jelly jars I use. I now store my rinsed yeast in two half pints. One of the half pints is more than enough for a starter and cuts the risk of infection since when I open the jar for a starter I am using the entire contents. For storage remove as much beer as possible and replace with boiled, cooled water to fill the headspace.

You can have a pint jar completely filled with yeast if you wish. I used to store about 300 ml of yeast in one jar. I have crude ml markings on the outside of the jelly jars I use. I now store my rinsed yeast in two half pints. One of the half pints is more than enough for a starter and cuts the risk of infection since when I open the jar for a starter I am using the entire contents. For storage remove as much beer as possible and replace with boiled, cooled water to fill the headspace.

Thanks, that is great info

Back