Washing yeast/ layers not forming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codym

Reaction score
This is my second time washing yeast. My first time worked great, everything matched what I saw in pictures posted on this site I washed a safe ale 05. however, this time I am trying to wash a WL400 and the trub layer isn't forming. Last week I tried washing the yeast from the primary. The picture shows a jar of what I harvested from the primary last week on the right. Looks like I got mostly all trub with a thin layer of yeast on the top, creamy white portion. I eventually pulled off from the top after 20 minutes because I was seeing no separation and didn't think I would. The left is the carboy with water added and mixed after 45 minutes. No trub/ yeast layer is forming. Is it all yeast in the secondary? Its still sitting on my kitchen table, I'm not sure if I should save any of this to replace what I got last week or not?

005.jpg

Do yourself a favor and stop washing yeast!

Instead make a larger starter and decant a portion to save and use what you need. It's so much easier, cleaner, and there's less concern of it mutating as quickly I'd think.

I wash my yeast. Fermentation seems to run much smoother a few generations into a yeast strain.

Just remember each yeast strain acts, looks, flocs different. That washed yeast looks good to me. Maybe try washing one more time.

There are a lot of people who just scoop the yeast and trub out together and don't rinse it at all. The trub provides nutrients for the yeast while it is waiting to be used again, and keeping it under beer instead of water helps protect it by keeping it in an environment that is hostile to most other bugs (alcoholic, low ph environment).

There is a huge debate on this topic to wash or not to wash. Of course every, well just about every homebrewer has done both methods to test for themselves.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Back