Washing vs Slanting yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
I think Im going to take the plunge into storing my common yeast strains instead of buying them every brew. I currently am living in an apartment, have limited space and practically no fridge space (other then possibly hiding some behind the kegs in the kegerator).

So was wondering which method (or another one but those are the two i know) is a combination of easiest and smallest amount of space. I do already have a pressure cooker so can handle that with slanting. I have read the stickies on both, just wanting some opinions.

There sure are lots of opinions about this topic. Which are you leaning towards?

If you have read the stickies (and some of the other loooong threads), there isn't really any new information that will be posted, likely just a rehashing of all the discussions in other threads, and we don't really need that.

I freeze my yeast stocks. I do this based on my lab experience and because it requires the least amount of time. The chances are higher that my stock could have contaminating bacteria, as the yeast is not isolated via plate or slant (in most cases). But I am confident in my technique, and I have not had any issues. Your call.

I think Im going to take the plunge into storing my common yeast strains instead of buying them every brew. I currently am living in an apartment, have limited space and practically no fridge space (other then possibly hiding some behind the kegs in the kegerator).

So was wondering which method (or another one but those are the two i know) is a combination of easiest and smallest amount of space. I do already have a pressure cooker so can handle that with slanting. I have read the stickies on both, just wanting some opinions.

Given your space limitations, I would simply save one jar of yeast at a time using this guy's method:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/yeast-harvesting-novel-approach.html

Personally, I rinse occasionally from my low gravity pale ale and save that yeast, but I have plenty of room to store 4 jars of yeast in my fridge.

Slanting is a little more advanced in my opinion and probably not necessary if you have a "house" yeast.

Thanks for the info/suggestions Ill have to look into both more deeply and make a decision. Need to see how many different yeast I use for my repeat recipes.

Back