Washed yeast didn't separate... make starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
I washed this yeast (S-05 from Dead Ringer batch) twice and didn't get very good separation. There is a slightly lighter layer on top, but it doesn't look like the yeast/trub layers I've seen in pictures where the trub layer is much darker. Almost looks like the bottom layer is mostly yeast! Not sure whats going on here.

My intention is to pitch this slurry into my next brew (1.059 Smoked Porter), so will I be alright to decant off the liquid and pitch it straight in (Brewer's Friend says I need about 1 cup of slurry), or should I make a starter? Would I benefit from washing again, letting it settle some, and then decanting everything still in suspension?

Thanks in advance!

P1236246.jpg

P1236244.jpg

How old is the washed yeast? When using washed yeast, I will typically make a starter for anything over 2 weeks old. It also depends on the OG of the beer you are going to use it in.

It'll be 2.5 weeks old on brew day, but I have 1 cup of slurry not just a small layer of pure yeast...

Does anyone make a starter with a washed slurry?

Like I said, I do. Of course I typically don't wash S-05 or any dry yeast for that matter. It is cheap enough to buy a new packet.

Granted you have a cup of slurry, but I don't know how you would tell the percentage of viable yeast in that cup of slurry.

When i rinse harvested yeast i usually use triple the amount of water to whatever amount of yeast/trub i collected, this way you can really get it all to break up and the trub should settle to the bottom while the yeast will stay in suspension. I do this all in the time frame of 10-15 minutes. Then i pour off the liquid, leaving the crud in the bottom behind, set it in the fridge and let the yeast settle out. From there i use mrmalty to figure out approx. how many yeast cells i have. If it's over 2 weeks i will do a starter.

i pour yeast cake right into a mason jar, no washing. it goes from the fridge straight into the beer (after coming to room temp) even after 2-3 months. for a 1059 beer i've found 1/4 cup to be plenty, 1 cup of slurry is way too much yeast for a 1059 beer.

Latest posts

Back