Wasabi Ginger Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tally350z

Reaction score
So my friend asked me to try and make a Wasabi Ginger Beer. I came up with this recipe and want to see what you guys thing. I am not to concerned with how it comes out cause it might turn out to be crap. Which is why I am making only 2.5g.

2 lbs US-2 Row
.75lbs Cara Pils / Dextrine

.75 oz Cascade - 60 min
1.5 lbs Honey- 60 min
1 lemon(juice)- 30 min
3 oz ginger root- 30 min
.5tsp Irish Moss- 15 min
1 oz ginger -10 min
1 lemon(zest)- 10 minute
.5 oz Willamette - 2 min
1 Jar Wasabi powder(.68 oz) mixed with 1/2 cup water - Flame out

1 oz Ginger Root- Secondary, after 14 days in Primary
Yeast- Safale US-05

He wants more spice from the Wasabi and if the powder at Flame out doesn't do anything, then I will add more in secondary.

Like I said I am not too concerned with how it will taste. Its more of a (try this) batch. Let me know what you guys think.

I personally think that's a tad too much (re: WAYYYYYYY to much) wasabi for 2.5gal. I'd quarter that. Also, what method were you planning for the ginger delivery (pressed/sliced/minced) and were you going to use powder or fresh? Using a garlic press would get you the most flavor/extraction.

Some of the beers I've tried/seen/tasted which utilized peppers/vanilla beans/etc tend to give a slight "hint" of the flavor. I recently had a curry beer from Ballast Point that used curry, ginger, and kaffir lime. It won the BP homebrew competition and was brewed in bulk for distribution locally. It smelled like curry on the aroma, had a slight curry flavor on the back end, and finished with ginger and lime. Not great by my palette's standards but not bad either. I believe the base recipe would have been a porter style ale.

That being said I believe (IMHO) that beer like this should not be a wasabi beer but a beer with wasabi.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

I plan on using freshly grated ginger root. I'm just going to use the fine side of a cheese grater.

Thanks for the input Buddha.. I will cut back on the Wasabi initally and if I find I need to add more then I will.. I will keep everyone posted. I will be brewing it tomorrow...

I plan on using freshly grated ginger root. I'm just going to use the fine side of a cheese grater.

Thanks for the input Buddha.. I will cut back on the Wasabi initally and if I find I need to add more then I will.. I will keep everyone posted. I will be brewing it tomorrow...

I agree, cutting back on the wasabi is a good idea. Personally speaking I like the hint of the spice vs. overwhelming the entire brew, it should all 'meld'. Will be interested to see how this turns out... enjoy me some wasabi!!! And if it doesn't turn out as you expect, you have a handmade gift...in a somewhat copious amount ... to share with your friend. ;)

I feel the wasabi should not be heated at all. add it during secondary or maybe even an hour or so before bottling. to preserve the nose and aroma. I speak from a culinary background. I am barley a novice brewer so take that for what it is worth.

Are you using real wasabi, or the green stuff? The reason I ask is that the wasabi powder is most times just mustard and horseradish powder with green coloring. You may be better off just adding fresh grated horseradish to the secondary with the ginger.

I went to a couple of Asian markets here in town and asked if they carried real wasabi root. They all basically laughed and said no.. I bought the powder stuff which is mainly horseradish. I figured I would try that stuff over using real horseradish..

Just finished brewing.. Man did it turn out really nice with the Ginger aroma with a hint of the Wasabi.

I decided to only use 2 tsp of Wasabi powder mixed with enough water to make it somewhat liquidy.

I tried this the other day. It has a nice flavor and aroma of Ginger. Nothing too overpowering. There was pretty much zero heat from the wasabi, so I added another two 2tsp of wasabi in the secondary. We will see what that does for the heat.. Def. drinkable though..

Thanks for the update. This sounds like a very interesting project. I admire your adventurous brewing!

I went to a couple of Asian markets here in town and asked if they carried real wasabi root. They all basically laughed and said no.. I bought the powder stuff which is mainly horseradish. I figured I would try that stuff over using real horseradish..

Yeah, real wasabi root does not really travel or keep.

Rest assured that unless your friend has been eating at very high dollar japanese restaurants, he doesn't know what it tastes like.

Back