Was this really stupid...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ram5ey

Reaction score
So I was brewing a Scottish 60 Schilling and per Jamil declined to use a full starter since my year was decently fresh and the OG was 1.034. After I collected my runnings a pulled out 600ml of wort to wake the yeast up (boiled this of course). When I when to dump the vial of WLP 001 I couldnt get some of the yeast out of the bottom. In a moment of either brilliance or sheer stupidity:drunk: I sprayed some StarSan in the vial and dumped the rest in. I know that StarSan can act as a yeast nutrient, but I've never put my yeast in direct contact with it before...even if for about 2 seconds...

So the question...was that really stupid?

I think your OK. It's not likely that starsan is going to kill all the yeast all at once, if any. If this were the case, I think the small amount of yeast in the beer at bottling wouldn't stand a chance in a freshly starsan'd bottle ;)
When this happened to me, I used an unopened 16oz bottle of drinking water and sprayed it with starsan and poured an ounce in the vial to get the yeast out. It worked for me. Ideally, I'd recap the yeast vial, boil some water in the microwave real quick, chill it and use that. Still I think you're fine.
No worries.

Back