Warranty on kegs - myth or reality?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vash68

Reaction score
I was shopping for brand new kegs and ended up buying a few from a single vendor in May 2017 . After the kegs arrived I noticed that they are dated 2014. It took me and the vendor a while to figure out these kegs are out of manufacturers warranty (AEB).

This is after spending about $100+ per keg.
I am currently debating if I should return these kegs.

However, out of curiosity I contacted different online home brew supply vendors (all well known) and asked them about AEB as well as other brands warranty on brand new kegs.

To my surprise, only a hand full of vendors were willing to cover only replaceable parts on kegs they sell by THEIR OWN warranty, not by manufacturers warranty!
Most vendors said they "would take care of your keg problem" post sale on
unspecified terms. So most probably, they won't.

Not a single vendor was willing to extend "manufacturer's type" warranty for rust, seams, integrity etc.

However, almost each vendor mentioned that " keg post removal will void your manufacturers warranty". What warranty???

Further google search shed not much light onto the topic. The only manufacturer that clearly outlines its warranty on kegs was AMCYL - 5 years.
AEB - nothing on their website. Same as most others.
Some German keg manufacturer claims 25 year and lifetime warranty - I have not seen this brand in the US.

My question is there such thing as manufacturers warranty on kegs anymore??

Or home brewing hobby is so hot right now that vendors don't even care about standing behind their products?? :confused:

I'm pretty sure any of the online brew supply joints will take care of you if you find an issue with either a new or used keg and you let them know within a reasonable time period (say, 30 days) after you receive them. Beyond that, I wouldn't expect much as far as a warranty goes. Fortunately, with normal usage, Corny kegs are pretty much bulletproof, so the likelihood of having issues down the road is pretty low. The presence of a warranty, or lack thereof, wouldn't even cross my mind when making a keg purchase.

Back