Warning n00b question inside!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms5555

Reaction score
How much water should I use to make my wart?

I am asking because while I was brewing my first batch ever I read on the instructions to use 2-3 gallons of water but to use more if I had at least 2 gallons to make room for the boil. So I used 4. I added the grains that came in the kit and got the water to 155 degrees and steeped for 30 minutes, let it rest for 10 off the heat. I then removed the grains, stirred in the liquid malt and cranked up the heat.

After 20 minutes it never came to a boil or a roll. So I put the lid on and boiled over within 2 minutes. So I put it on a new burner with the lid off and was able to keep the roll and did so for an hour but it still never boiled.

I completed the rest of the steps in the directions and the yeast seems to be doing it's job because the airlock is bubbling about once a minute.

My question is how bad is this going to taste?
Should I use less water or do I need to use a large burner like I have for deep frying a turkey?
Or did I do something else really dumb that I didn't realize I did?

Thanks

Can you explain "was able to keep the roll and did so for an hour but it still never boiled" ?

My question is how bad is this going to taste?
Should I use less water or do I need to use a large burner like I have for deep frying a turkey?
Or did I do something else really dumb that I didn't realize I did?

Thanks

don't think it will taste that bad, maybe a little sweet. maybe turn out darker than you think

probably best to use a large burner. if you have a propane turkey fryer, there ya go!

unless you TRY to ruin your beer, you won't. that's why homebrewers are always saying, "relax, don't worry"

let it ferment, clear, bottle, condition and then drink. it will be better than you think, because... hey! you made that beer!

If you don't at least get a gently rolling boil,hop utilization will likely suffer. Hop flavors will be a bit lighter. Color may be darker,especially if you didn't do late extract additions. I bought aftermarket replacement heating elements off amazon when my electric stove's burners started quitting on us.
The link to them is in my profile. I can now get 3-3.5 gallons to a boil in about 18 minutes.

Before I put the lid on I could see the wart moving but very slowly. After I got the boil over it was moving as if I was stiring it vigorusly.

I will try a propane burner when it gets warmer, but for now I think I will test boiling water and see just how much my stove can actually get to a boil. Thanks for all the responses.

Are you using electric or gas? Electric takes too long imho and does not have the amount of control gas does. Always use the large burner. Bigger footprint, better boil less problems for hotspots when you're adding the LME.
You had a gentle rolling boil. That's a good thing. NO boil over. You could probably get to a more vigorous boil on the larger burner. Just don't cover it or walk away.
It won't taste bad until you find a way to infect it. It'll just taste like you could do a better job next time.

Well everything worked out fine. Popped a cap on a few of these this weekend and it was beer. Really good beer actually.

Well everything worked out fine. Popped a cap on a few of these this weekend and it was beer. Really good beer actually.

see? relax! don't worry!

the best advice for this obsession.

well, that, sanitation and fermentation temperature control

Back