Warning! Do not use raspberry extract...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerekJ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
in your kegging system.

I made a raspberry wheat for SWMBO. Admitadly, I took a shortcut and used raspberry extract instead of real fruit after researching the forums. All the reviews that I read said that it was about the same as real fruit.

The beer itself wasn't very good IMHO. Everyone that tried it said it was good but hey, free beer is always good, right?

Anyway, I digress, the beer itself isn't my warning. It's the remnants. I can't get the smell and taste out of my keezer line. I have soaked the line in PBW, rinsed with hot water, and soaked with Starsan. It still smells and tastes like that nasty, medicinal, raspberry extract.

Monday I will be ordering a new line. Consider yourself notified. Don't use that crap in your kegging system...or in your beer for that matter.

I had a keg that had root beer in it and same thing happened. I finally decided to put a nice dark beer in it so off flavors wouldn't make a real difference. Had an oatmeal coffee stout in it and no off flavors and the keg no longer smells of root beer.

Just happened this week to me... last cherry wheat ale was really good, so I made another one. This one turned out horrible. The cherry extract was over powering, so I changed kegs. Same thing as you... beer lines made my Mac & Jacks clone taste like cherry. Looked at my beer line and see that it's now pink. Doh.
I made this batch exactly the same as previous. I'm beginning to think the extracts are not consistent.

My friend made a raspberry stout with that extract and its not very good that medicinal taste is overbearing and it really sticks around in the glass you were drinking it out of

Back