Warm Weather Brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KVANTAN

Reaction score
I live just a couple degrees off the equator and see typical temperatures from mid-70's to high 80's. I think I will have a very hard time getting my carboy and bottles down to the low 70's consistently.

I think a realistic consistently low temperature is going to be about 75-76 in my brew closet.

Is there a particular type of beer I can brew that will fare better in this temperature?

I appreciate any input, I have a lack of materials and resources here and have to import everything in my once-a-year trips to the USA.

I live just a couple degrees off the equator and see typical temperatures from mid-70's to high 80's. I think I will have a very hard time getting my carboy and bottles down to the low 70's consistently.

I think a realistic consistently low temperature is going to be about 75-76 in my brew closet.

Is there a particular type of beer I can brew that will fare better in this temperature?

I appreciate any input, I have a lack of materials and resources here and have to import everything in my once-a-year trips to the USA.

Can you get a large tub, some water, a fan, and a few towels? You can get it cooler than that with those items. Check out the swamp cooler threads.

Fill a bath tub or large cooler with water. Enough to cover at least half your fermenter. Keep a rotation of 2 to 4 milk jugs (gallon size) filled with water in freezer. In the morning when you get up put a jug of ice in the water. Pull a jug of melted ice out and place in the freezer. Do this in the evening as well if the water stats warming up. I use 1 1_gallon jug and a "coffin cooler" holding 2 fermenters and water temp it's constant 62° to 64°. You may need to adjust cooler size or jug size as needed. No tshirt or fan needed.

jrodskreet said:
Fill a bath tub or large cooler with water. Enough to cover at least half your fermenter. Keep a rotation of 2 to 4 milk jugs (gallon size) filled with water in freezer. In the morning when you get up put a jug of ice in the water. Pull a jug of melted ice out and place in the freezer. Do this in the evening as well if the water stats warming up. I use 1 1_gallon jug and a "coffin cooler" holding 2 fermenters and water temp it's constant 62° to 64°. You may need to adjust cooler size or jug size as needed. No tshirt or fan needed.

Thanks, I will probably have to do e bath tub trick with fans depending on my circumstances. The thermo control looks great but I would need to re wire it for plug and voltage. Still possible next time i get home.

Thanks gents.

I use 2 of the Cool Brewing bags. Once I get my fermenter to 72 or so, I put them in this bag with 2 frozen quart bottles and rotate every 12 hours. After the first 36 hours or so, I only need one every 12 hours. My house in the summer is 78 degrees (and my electric bill is still high) and it keeps my fermenting bucket in the mid 60's. Adding another bottle or changing more frequently can even get it down closer to 60. To me, it's easier that messing with water, it has plenty of room for a blow tube if needed and will contain any blowouts and is easy to clean.
It's worth the $50 or so to me.

Thanks, I will probably have to do e bath tub trick with fans depending on my circumstances. The thermo control looks great but I would need to re wire it for plug and voltage. Still possible next time i get home.

Thanks gents.

You could also check out the ebay temp control build. Comes n either 240v or 120v and only costs 20$. Easy to wire up without any experience with wiring. Just need some scrap wire, outlet and something to put it into.

If there's a college around, start checking Craig's list for medium sized dorm fridges since the school year is wrapping up. I found one on the curb and after a bit of...door carving, it makes a perfect fermenting fridge. Also saisans (almost certainly spelled wrong) are warm temperature beers.

I used to brew in south FL, and beer comes out drinkable (even yummy) if they're a bit warm so the bucket and towel method can work if you're on a budget

Not sure where exactly you're located, but if it's very humid (I'm guessing it is) a swamp cooler won't do too much. So you'll need to use a fridge or ice.

I live in Florida, and find this hot weather great for belgians. I did a saison that came out amazing. I just let it sit outside, wrapped up in a shirt. I am doing a Belgian Golden Strong right now that is currently enjoying the Florida heat as well :)

I'll look into the Saisons. So far I have not drank one that I enjoyed but next time I get home I'll try a few more and see if I can't clone a recipe. Also thanks for the Belgians recommendation. I can easily get that going later this year. Right now I have a Pilsner and an IPA on hand. I may actually work on getting a mini freezer that will fit my carboy and having it wired up. I can get an electrician to handle it.

Can't say too much about where I am due to the intolerance of this sort of stuff in my region.

Back