Warm fermented, Single Hop, Northern German Style Unfiltered Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers from around the world.

One of the beers I will be brewing soon will be a warm fermented Pils style beer with Kveik. I would love your input and experience on the following recipe:

70% BEST Heidelberg
30% Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise
Yeast: WHC Ubbe ( https://www.whclab.com/collections/comercial-yeast-pitches/products/ubbe )
Predicted numbers:
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.009
IBU: 35 ( unsure whether to increase it to 40 )
ABV: 5.2%

I will mash at 65C/149F ( unsure whether to drop it to 64C/147F ) for 90 minutes, with a 90 minutes boil. Hop schedule:

25 gr Mistral ---> 60'
25 gr Mistral ---> 30'
25 gr Mistral ---> 20'
25 gr Mistral ---> 10'
100 gr Mistral ---> 1'

No dry hopping or fancy whirlpool this time. Mash water profile: Ca: 55 ppm / Mg: 10 ppm / Na: 10 ppm / Cl: 45 ppm/ SO4: 90 ppm and a mash pH of 5.3-5.4. ( unsure whether to increase the SO4 and Cl to achieve a more minerally finish )

I never used Heidelberg before, but read good things about it. I also wanty a fairly low-coloured, bright beer, which is why I chose it. The Golden Promise is there because I love this malt and because it will probably blend nicely with it's slightly sweet, malty taste. I also never used Mistral, but the description sounds nice. Sure, the descriptions found on this particular hop are most certainly very optimistic, but seeing that I want to try as many *unused/underutilised* hops, this might just be OK.

Thank you in advance for any input and reply you can offer me and this thread.

No tips on the mash water profile? Maybe a bit more Cl and SO4? I do want a slighly more minerally profile.

No tips on the mash water profile? Maybe a bit more Cl and SO4? I do want a slighly more minerally profile.
I wouldn't use Heidelberg again. Tried it in multiple beers, it is too pale, zero taste but lots of enzymatic capacity. Tastes almost like rice/sugar, it's that pale.

I wouldn't go overboard with the salts, it's already quite high for the style, either lower it or keep it as it is.

My idea would be all pilsener or pilsener and 30% Vienna.

I would also take another approach on the hops. 30 to 40 ibus@30 minutes and 3to5 ibus at 10, that's it.

At least stop calling it "Northern German Style Pils" just because you like how it sounds.

British malt - check
Scandinavian top-cropping yeast - check
French hops - check
Anything to do with Northern Germany or Pils - FAIL

:p:confused:

Noted. It's not a Northern German German Style Pils. But I do want to brew something similar and I do want to brew something that has a slight, yet pleasent minerality to it. As for the amount of hops: they are probably nowhere near as potent as they make it to be. Slightly hoppy wouldn't hurt either.

Noted. It's not a Northern German German Style Pils. But I do want to brew something similar...
Then I am afraid you couldn't be farther from your goal, my friend. This will not even remotely taste like a Northern German Pils or a Pils of any kind.

I think you would only need to change the hops to something noble, than the result could very well taste like a northern pilsener, if the kveik really is as clean tasting as advertised.

Latest posts

Back