Warhead Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedbird

Reaction score
This is my first recipe created from scratch on BeerSmith. I brewed it on New Years Eve (super nice day in Colorado!) It was also the keg that emptied the quickest! IPAs are my favorite and I was really pleased with the result. I didn't make it too bitter since it was my first attempt at a recipe on my own and I wanted to keep it simple. The picture is the first glass tapped. It cleared out nicely after the first few pours. Enjoy!:mug:

Batch size: 5 gal
Boil Volume: 5.7 gal
Mash with 3.9 gal for 60 min at 152 deg F, then Batch Sparged twice with 1.6 gal to reach boil volume
60 min boil
Measured OG- 1.063
Measured FG- 1.012
IBUs- 72.6
ABV- 6.7%

GRAIN BILL:
9lb Pale 2 Row
1lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1lb Crystal 40L
1lb Rye Malt
6oz Crystal 75L (added to darken the color a bit)

HOPS:
1oz Centennial- 60min
1oz Centennial- 30min
1oz Citra- 5min
2oz Citra- Dry Hopped after 7 days

YEAST: 1 vial White Labs California Ale in a 1.5L yeast starter

Chilled then carbonated for about 10 days to achieve ~2.5 CO2 volumes

20140218_110752.jpg

It has a very full flavor, but not intense and it doesn't make you pucker. The rye adds a little drier taste and very subtle spice.What stands out the most about the flavor is a healthy dose of fruitiness because of cascade and citra hops!

Plus I forgot to mention the sparge water was at 168 degrees. Although that seems like a pretty standard temp for sparging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Home Brew mobile app

Back