Ward Results - How is my interpretation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twang

Reaction score
Below are the test results for my hose water from Ward Labs. I'm still getting the hang of brewing water basics but it looks like the water is pretty good overall. Total alkalinity is a little high? So I could use some acid to adjust the pH down a little for most beers. And could benefit by adding some gypsum or calcium chloride to get the sulfate and chloride levels appropriate for the beer being brewed.

Any comments/input is appreciated. Thanks.

pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 209
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.35
Cations / Anions, me/L 3.4 / 3.5

ppm

Sodium, Na 22
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 39
Magnesium, Mg 4
Total Hardness, CaCO3 114
Nitrate, NO3-N < 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 3
Chloride, Cl 20
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 169
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 139
Total Phosphorus, P 0.49
Total Iron, Fe 0.03
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

Below are the test results for my hose water from Ward Labs. I'm still getting the hang of brewing water basics but it looks like the water is pretty good overall.

Yes.

Total alkalinity is a little high? So I could use some acid to adjust the pH down a little for most beers.
Yes or you could dilute 1:1 with RO and 'trim' with acid.

And could benefit by adding some gypsum or calcium chloride to get the sulfate and chloride levels appropriate for the beer being brewed.

Yes, especially if you go after the alkalinity with RO dilution. But both are quite low in the undiluted water. Be sure you like sulfate before beefing it up.

While the alkalinity is a bit high, it is easily neutralized with an acid. My water back in Tallahassee was somewhat similar to yours and was easy to brew with in most cases.

Back