Ward Labs Water Report for Montgomery, IL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABrown518

Reaction score
I just got my water report back this evening, so I wanted to share it with others here that live in Montgomery. I know there are at least a few other brewers here from Montgomery. Also looking for any general observations on the report from those that have the knowledge. I am just getting into water chemistry, but have already learned a lot from this forum, and I just picked up the new Water book by Palmer. So any additional info anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

pH - 9.1
Total Dissolved Solids - 286
Electrical Cond - 0.48
Cations/Anions, me/L - 4.3/4.6

All PPM:
Sodium, Na - 49
Potassium, K - 11
Calcium, Ca - 6
Magnesium, Mg - 19
Total Hardness, CaCO3 - 94
Nitrate, NO3-N - 0.2
Sulfate, SO4-S - 16
Chloride, Cl - 65
Carbonate, CO3 - 12
Bicarbonate, HCO3 - 79
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 - 86

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/help-my-water-372370/

This is the water report for me in Oswego, just down the street from you. I'm surprised they are that far off considering our municipalities are drawing from nearby wells.

My Bicarb level is really high so it's tough for me to get my pH down for light colored beers. I find that using a high ratio of distilled water to tap water helps me lower the alkalinity and brew pale ales, IPAs, and lagers closer to style.

At $8 for 5 gallons of distilled it gets pricey fast though.

Wow, I wouldn’t have thought the difference would be so big between the two either. Where do you get your distilled water? I picked some up for this past weekend’s brew at Wally on Orchard/rt 30 for $0.88 per gallon (as long as you don’t mind going to Wal-Mart).

I am very much a water chemistry novice, and this was my first brew messing with the water chemistry. Working through the Bru’n Water worksheet it seemed for this brew (light colored saison style, using the yellow balanced profile) I needed to dilute with distilled in order to cut down the sodium and Chloride, since they are relatively high compared to calcium, magnesium and sulfate, before I added back salts to bring the levels more in-line with the water profile.

I have never been happy with the pales/IPAs I have brewed, and it looks like my sulfate/chloride levels may be the main culprit.

That is not a bad water for most brewing. It is a little mineralized for softer and malty styles, but its workable. The main thing is the sodium is slightly high, but not out of bounds and the alkalinity will typically require some neutralization to move the mash pH into a desirable range. A little bit of acid will avoid the cost and trouble of buying distilled or RO water.

Not sure if Montgomery is the same as Oswego, but we have chloramine in our water. I treat 20 gallons with a crushed campden tab while I'm heating strike water to remove the chloramine.

I've been getting distilled water delivered for $8 per 5 gallon Hinckley jug. It's too pricey though and seeing that you're finding it cheaper at Walmart has just convinced me to go get my own.

To my knowledge, the water is only treated with chlorine as that is the only thing listed on the yearly water report put out by the city.

Hey there local brewers. Another Montgomery, IL brewer here. I wish I was smart enough to understand the whole water chemistry stuff. But alas, I must live in blissful ignorance. Good luck mastering this though. Maybe someday I will get there.

Latest posts

Back