Ward Labs Report...Now what should I do to my water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toestothesun

Reaction score
All,

Here are the results of my Ward Labs report. FWIW, the sample I sent to them was water I collected after it ran rather "slowly" through my 10" water filter kit.

Since I've lived here, most of my brews have finished with a somewhat astringent or harsh hop flavor that I most certainly want to eliminate. Could this be the result of my pH? If so, what can I do to decrease my water's pH? Is there anything else here I should be concerned about?

I mostly brew saisons and ales, and would like to optimize my water for future brews.

Thanks in advance:mug:

pH: 6.3
Total dissolved solids: 133
Electrical conductivity, mmho/cm: 0.22
Cations/Anions, me/L: 2.2/2.0

Sodium: 16 ppm
Potassium: 3
Calcium: 22
Magnesium: 4
Total Hardness: 72
Nitrate: 0.2 (SAFE)
Sulfate: 11
Chloride: 19
Carbonate: < 1.0
Bicarbonate: 47
Total Alkalinity: 38
Total Phosphorus: 0.20
Total Iron: < .01

I'm no expert and I'm sure Brun or AJ will definitely chime in but the water looks soft and would probably only require some minor additions for flavor considerations.

Water looks good. Make it easy...download Bru'n Water. https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

The astringency/harsh hop flavor could be a few different things. Could be your pH creeping up at the end up the sparge or sparging too hot. I've found harsh hop flavors from a bit too much sulfate. That wouldn't be the issue with that water profile unless you're adding about 150+ppm of sulfate. I've also found some folks confuse acetaldehyde presence with hop harshness. Does the astringency subside about a week after kegging?

That is a great water source, but if you aren't properly acidifying your brewing water to coordinate more closely with the needs of the grist, you can end up with duller and poorer flavor in pale beers. It appears that you are focused on those paler beers. Even if you start with RO or distilled water, there is still a need to understand the treatment needs with respect to your current brew. No one is immune from the need to tailor their water, its just that some waters don't exhibit huge flaws for them or they tend to brew styles that better suit the water's capability.

Back