Want to try Papazian's recipes but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bell

Reaction score
I've finally gotten around to reading "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". Some of the recipes call for the addition of crystal malt, but the color isn't specified. I remember reading somewhere (not sure where) that older recipes which call for crystal, usually it's 40L. Is this true, or would it be better to take the style into consideration when determining the type (color) crystal used?

Also, any recommendations on any of these recipes (ale, extract or partial mash) that are worthwhile?

Thanks

Toad Spit Stout. It's an extract recipe, but it's still one of my favorite stouts ever. It's always come out flawlessly for me every time.

As far as your "Crystal" question - I'm not sure. Both of my LHBSs sell "Muntons Crystal Malt" with an SRM of 49-64 and "Dark Crystal Malt" with SRM of 113-156 (or something like that). I'd say Crystal 40L would probably be fine. If you plug it into BeerSmith or something and it looks darker than you think it should, cut the amount in half? Won't be the same exact flavor, but it'll usually be fairly close.

Crystal 40 should work for most recipes that call for crystal. I'm not sure what older recipes referred to when calling for crystal. I would avoid anything higher than 60L unless specifically called for in the recipe. Taking style into consideration is always a good idea. If you post the recipe I'm sure you will get a few suggestions.

I remember listening to a podcast with Homer Smith, an old school homebrewer, who said to use Crystal 40 when old recipes call for just crystal malt. I've used C-40L in some recipes from Papazian's book and they've come out well.

It's been some time since I've used the Joy of Homebrewing, so I didn't remember the recipes. Sure enough, when I check my edition, it doesn't list the levibond ratings of crystal malts. That's kind of odd, since my other Papazian book that I still use regularly, "Microbrewed Adventures", does list the L. rating for each recipe.

The Palace Bitter and the Steam Beer in the book both look really good to me. They are both on my list beers to brew soon but haven't done either of them yet.

I remember listening to a podcast with Homer Smith, an old school homebrewer, who said to use Crystal 40 when old recipes call for just crystal malt. I've used C-40L in some recipes from Papazian's book and they've come out well.

Yes, that was it! I heard that podcast too. Pretty sure it was from the brewing network.

I liked most recipes from the book that I made. But then again that was the first book I read and those were the first beers I ever made. I used the style guideline chart quite a bit in that book but stopped when I bought Beer Smith.

I liked most recipes from the book that I made. But then again that was the first book I read and those were the first beers I ever made. I used the style guideline chart quite a bit in that book but stopped when I bought Beer Smith.

Just reading it mostly out of curiosity, and I've grown tired of reading and re-reading 'How to Brew' and 'Brewing Classic Styles'. I know that some of the techniques described are done differently these days. I like the simplicity of some of the recipes. I'm starting to suspect that good and even great beer can be made with a simple recipe. Control over the process--sanitation, healthy and adequate yeast pitching, aeration, fermentation temp control, etc--seems to be more critical than the recipe itself.

You could just check with a software program and figure out what crystal will put the beer in range for the appropriate style.

Just reading it mostly out of curiosity, and I've grown tired of reading and re-reading 'How to Brew' and 'Brewing Classic Styles'. I know that some of the techniques described are done differently these days. I like the simplicity of some of the recipes. I'm starting to suspect that good and even great beer can be made with a simple recipe. Control over the process--sanitation, healthy and adequate yeast pitching, aeration, fermentation temp control, etc--seems to be more critical than the recipe itself.

It's a double edged sword. You are right about simple recipes can be great and focus on technique is very important. But I think the recipe is important too. It can be easy to get carried away with a recipe and make something that would have been much better with maybe half the ingredients.

Latest posts

Back