Want to try a different yeast this fall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyto

Reaction score
I have been brewing for 25 years, all grain for 15. Been using Fermentis Safeale US-05 for the past 10 or 12 years. Lately I have been using one pack at the beginning of brewing season and harvesting. Been thinking of trying something different, just to do something different.

I used Danstar Nottingham many years ago with good results and am thinking of going back to it.

Is there another dry yeast that I should consider? I make brown to dark ales and IPAs.

Thanks.

I have been brewing for 25 years, all grain for 15. Been using Fermentis Safeale US-05 for the past 10 or 12 years. Lately I have been using one pack at the beginning of brewing season and harvesting. Been thinking of trying something different, just to do something different.

I used Danstar Nottingham many years ago with good results and am thinking of going back to it.

Is there another dry yeast that I should consider? I make brown to dark ales and IPAs.

Thanks.
I used Nottingham a couple of brews ago and is very active. it blew the bung out of my FV
made good beer tho 🍺🍺

S-04 seems like it would be right up your alley. I think it would probably even work better than S-05 in darker beers, and it is very popular for IPAs right now. You'll get a touch of fruitiness from the yeast, and it will accentuate the malt more. It may finish a little higher than S-05.

You didn't mention lagers, but Saflager 34/70 (Weihenstephan) is an excellent dry yeast. If you are intimated by lagers, 34/70 is hard to mess up. It's also cheap, I usually pitch two packs and ferment at 50-54. Comes out great.

I'm also in Birmingham and the weather right now really calls for some nice pale lager if you ask me.

S-04 seems like it would be right up your alley. I think it would probably even work better than S-05 in darker beers, and it is very popular for IPAs right now. You'll get a touch of fruitiness from the yeast, and it will accentuate the malt more. It may finish a little higher than S-05.

You didn't mention lagers, but Saflager 34/70 (Weihenstephan) is an excellent dry yeast. If you are intimated by lagers, 34/70 is hard to mess up. It's also cheap, I usually pitch two packs and ferment at 50-54. Comes out great.

I'm also in Birmingham and the weather right now really calls for some nice pale lager if you ask me.

Thanks, didn't even think of the S-04. Not interested in lagers, don't have the equipment to maintain the temp.

If you want to get a little bit more out there, in the last 2 years or so there have been a ton of new dry strains introduced. Lalbrew brought out a dry New England IPA strain, which I believe might be a dry version of Conan. I just bought some of that and a new custom dry yeast blend from Verdant brewery that Lalbrew also did.

I love using dry yeast. Don't like to have to take the time and equipment to do starters every time, and since I generally double pitch I get a bit better cell count.

Thanks, didn't even think of the S-04. Not interested in lagers, don't have the equipment to maintain the temp.
The beauty of 34/70 is it doesn't give a rats ass what temp you are fermenting at. I have turned out tasty lagers with it fermenting in the 70s.

Lallemand Verdant yeast

Might be the best dried yeast outside of US05.

No weird lactic notes of bready aromas like SO4.

No weird sulphur and slow start like Bry-97

Full attenuation unlike S-33, Windsor, ESB

Better flocculation that K-97

Much better option than the lallemand New England which doesn’t dry well and yields very low viable cells per gram of dried yeast.

I’d try the Lallemand London ESB. I’ve always had good outcomes with it.
For something really different you might try one of the Kveik strains in dry.

hmmm, i'm going to be trying out premeir blanc for my next brew.....i'll let you know how it goes! ;)

I've been using Premeir Cuvee quite a bit lately in wine and have been favorably impressed (double pitched along with a sachet of EC-1118). It really seems to help dry things out and help bring terminal gravity down quickly and cleanly. Very tolerant of temperature extremes as well. Never thought about using it for beer however.

It's odd but I've never used a liquid yeast in wine in almost 50 years of wine making and seldom use a dry yeast in beer brewing. When I do pitch a dry yeast in beer it's always Nottingham. That stuff is a beast that seems to always ferment quickly, completely, and drops like a rock. Finishes clean at 63F with only mild esters at slightly higher temps.

Latest posts

Back