Want To Start A Solera - Moving In Near Future

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmedved

Reaction score
I have a Sanke Keg that I'd like to use to start a single vessel Solera. However, we're planning on moving sometime in the next 4-6 months. I'd really like to get the solera started now, especially because it would be cool to be able to pull from it shortly moving into the new place. However, I'm concerned about complications with moving the vessel. It would be around an hour drive.

Will it survive the drive? Or should I just wait until we move to start?

Size and weight play a big role in ability to move it. Moving a full or even half full 55 gallon barrel is about impossible without a cradle and forklift on each end of the trip.

Are you planning on fermenting in your solera vessel itself? One option could incorporate how I perform my soleras: do the primary fermentation then transfer to the solera vessel for long-term aging. If you do this, and time your initial brew, you could make it so you're moving multiple, smaller fermenters. THEN when you get settled, transfer to the larger solera vessel.

I have a Sanke Keg that I'd like to use to start a single vessel Solera.
After re-reading the OP, I had missed that essential detail (in bold, above).

A half barrel (15 gallon) Sanke keg is a lot easier to handle than a 55 gallon wooden barrel, which is what I imagined when you mentioned Solera.

I don't see any problems moving that. Just need 1 very strong guy or better, 2 strong guys to lift it. Now it may get all swirled up during the transport, so a resting period afterward to let things settle before tapping some off, would be recommended. Or tap first, purge/flush headspace with CO2, move, then top up at the new location.

I was wondering why you needed Hulk to lift a keg. ;)

And when using a dolly you don't need to actually lift the item unless you're going up stairs.

Latest posts

Back