Want to keg, can't kegerate yet, please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR-GRN

Reaction score
OK so recently Ive brewed 11 gallons of beer, and I've got another five to brew at weeks end. This brings to light that I NEED TO KEG! Sadly I'm in an apartment and can't tap my fridge door yet, since it ain't mine. Rather than buy a single/double tap kegerator I've decided it would be advantageous to simply keg and dispense with a picnic tap setup for now, then transfer my setup to a keezer when I get my own place. QUESTIONS!!!

I want to do two to three kegs, with one Co2 tank (10lbs?), and two pressures.
1.) OK please give me a parts list - I know I need three sankey kegs, pref. Ball lock, a Co2 bottle; umm what pressure regulator type/style should I get?
2.) what other parts do I need?

If someone could throw together a parts list of everything I'd need for what I'm aiming for I'd really appreciate it (search and FAQ's made me want to curl up in a ball and cry.. Instead I grabbed a couple beers)

three beers, two pressures, "picnic tap" setup.

Just go to kegconnection and buy the prebuilt 3 keg frig kit with party taps. It is exactly what you are looking for. BTW: You want Cornelius and not Sankey!

Worth mentioning: your beer will take longer to carb at room temp than it would in a fridge.

List of things you need:
Kegs
Co2 tank
Regulator (dual BODY if you want two different pressures)
2-way manifold (one of your bodies will need to be split to accommodate the 3rd keg)
Gas lines and Beer lines
Picnic taps
Quick disconnects (2 for each keg, gas and liquid)
Hose clamps to hold it all together
Cleaning/sanitization supplies for it all

Or just buy a kit, I highly recommend kegconnection.com

And yes, get corny's not sankes

Just go to kegconnection and buy the prebuilt 3 keg frig kit with party taps. It is exactly what you are looking for. BTW: You want Cornelius and not Sankey!

Keg connection has some great prices and a variety of "pre-made" keggerator conversion kits with available upgrades. I thought beverage factory was the best price around but I think kegconnection might be better. They sell 5 gallon ballock cornies for 39 bucks and their shipping prices look pretty good, at least to California.

Think you mean "corny" kegs you will need CO2 tank 5# or 10# if space is tight CO2 regulator with a secondary regulator, 10 + feet of beverage line 3/16ID for EACH keg, Gas line 5/16ID for CO2 don't need extra for this one and a a y splitter off the regulator.barbed connecters to the regs. Gas in fittings ball lock, Liquid out fittings and picnic taps.

Keg connection has some great prices and a variety of "pre-made" keggerator conversion kits with available upgrades. I thought beverage factory was the best price around but I think kegconnection might be better. They sell 5 gallon ballock cornies for 39 bucks and their shipping prices look pretty good, at least to California.

Flat rate shipping: $7.99 everywhere! :D

Wow thanks for all the quick replies - yes.. Corney is what I meant (I've been enjoying my beer this evening). Will be checking the above mentioned locations - really want to move on this as I want to keg most of my beer and not have to bottle all of it. I'll still bottle some of it, but considering I consume the majority of it, kegs would be waaay easier.

Kegging is indeed waaaaaaay easier ;)

Fwiw, when you go shopping for a kegging kit I recommend you don't buy a brand new CO2 tank unless you have a solid line on an outfit that will refill tanks while you wait. The industry has pretty much transitioned to a tank swap mode which means you'll more than likely be waiving "Buh Bye" to Mister New Tank :(

Cheers!

I've got a line on some used corneys and a 5# bottle - running three kegs at once should I look for a larger bottle? I might just go with it anyways because it's a good deal, and having th 5# around would be good for travelling anyways. I'm definately getting the kegs though!

Kegging is indeed waaaaaaay easier ;)

Fwiw, when you go shopping for a kegging kit I recommend you don't buy a brand new CO2 tank unless you have a solid line on an outfit that will refill tanks while you wait. The industry has pretty much transitioned to a tank swap mode which means you'll more than likely be waiving "Buh Bye" to Mister New Tank :(

Cheers!

+1. When I first started kegging I was upset to find that the nearest place where I could get a FILL was a couple hours away. As mentioned, the industry is mostly just swap and go, so I very much recommend trying to get a used tank as you'll be getting a different one right away anyway.

And the picnic tap thing is what I do. I've been having a hard time finding a freezer or fridge to convert and I've been doing the picnic tap method until I can get ahold of one.

I've got a line on some used corneys and a 5# bottle - running three kegs at once should I look for a larger bottle? I might just go with it anyways because it's a good deal, and having th 5# around would be good for travelling anyways. I'm definately getting the kegs though!

5lbs should be fine. I've had 4 kegs on tap at once. It's just a matter of how long it will last, but for simultaneous use, not a problem in my experience. 4 kegs at a party was no problem for mine.

Updating the thread - I picked up a setup from ninner73; two kegs, 5lb tank, regulator and three-way distribution block and associated lines/hardware for two kegs (just need another keg and connectors to run a third) looking forward to kegging a couple batches for personal consumption.

Back