• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want few recommendation for backyard Wood Fired Oven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Salman

Reaction score
Hello,

We are just husband and wife, looking for some cool wood fired oven to entertain a few guests as well from time to time After a cursory search, I have looked so far at ilFornino professional plus oven and ooni 3. Any others I should be considering or any pluses or misuses of the above?

Thank you in advance,
Chris

I have both a Roccbox and Uuni 3. My personal opinion is that the wood fired is a little overrated—the pizzas are only cooking for 60-90 seconds so there is not that much taste to impart. I love my Roccbox and probably could talk about it and pizza making for hours if you let me. Pros are that it’s portable (heavy, sure), heats up in about 30ish minutes, and you can control the flame, which is not really as possible with wood. Pizza size is limited to ~12 inches, but I usually make multiple 10” pies.

I assume you're looking for the self-contained dedicated pizza ovens. If not...

I love my Kettlepizza insert for the Weber grill, and it makes great pizzas. If you already like/own a Weber kettle, it is a no-brainer. You can buy a 'basic' kit... or get various upgrades, such as a second plate that acts as a 'roof' of sorts. I found the basic kit used locally, and tinkered... and love it. I can get the stone to 600+ and internal temps to 900ish easily, and it is just plain fun. Family loves it, and pizza night is an event.

It is very capable... and (I think) can do everything the higher-end dedicated units can do. However, it probably isn't QUITE as easy as some of the dedicated units. But if you've already got a Weber, and kinda like playing with fire (as I do), check it out.

(Note: I like Weber kettles almost as much as I like homebrewing. And if you're into grilling/smoking/etc., there are a lot of parallels with this hobby... endless possibilities for neat customization... endless debates on the best way to do things, etc.)

It's been a few months since you posted, so my experience might not matter. I have the Uuni Pro which can do up to a 16" pizza. There is a learning curve to it and I am improving with each use. Kingsford charcoal briquettes with a chunk or two of hardwood make good heat and 600F is what I shoot for. Dough should be hand stretched and not rolled to get a bubbly crust. You want a raised edge to keep it from burning. Be careful with a sweeter sauce because it will burn. When cooking a pizza, I use the full door because the slotted door loses a lot of heat.

I have both a Roccbox and Uuni 3. My personal opinion is that the wood fired is a little overrated—the pizzas are only cooking for 60-90 seconds so there is not that much taste to impart. I love my Roccbox and probably could talk about it and pizza making for hours if you let me. Pros are that it’s portable (heavy, sure), heats up in about 30ish minutes, and you can control the flame, which is not really as possible with wood. Pizza size is limited to ~12 inches, but I usually make multiple 10” pies.
Join us on the pizza thread everyone. Just got the Napoli myself, so far, so good. It would be nice to have a bigger oven space. I like cooking outdoors and like that they dont heat the house.

I decided on Napoli. The new wood burning tray I suspect doesn't get as hot as the other shield, but it produces a solid 830 in back of oven and close to 800 in middle with a chunk of two added. Seems to easy, fire up propane, and throw a few chunks on. Used original multi fuel tray only once with lump and meh. This is pics from 2 nights ago, chunks on propane. I am learning how to cook on it basically it's hotter in the back and cooler in the front. Would have loved roccbox but didnt have 6 or 7 hundred, however much. That said the Napoli got pricey. Only 250 for oven, but propane is another 84 and wood shield is 35. So 370 and 36 more for cast iron that fits it perfectly, cant wait.
20190909_183543.jpeg
20190909_180649.jpeg
20190902_150112.jpeg
20190902_185443.jpeg

Latest posts

Back