walk-in cooler / beer line length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am building a walk-in cooler to keep my serving kegs in. I would like to run a line into the kitchen in my house but its a very long run of around 36'. I am assuming it can be done, because I think they do stuff like that in commercial bars. Does anyone have information on how to determine line size and pressure?

Thanks Dcpcooks, thats exactly what I was looking for. I am going with a tower and lines from Micromatic. They also have chillers available.

I'd start with the only beer line length calculator worth using.
http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

Plug in your distance, rise, pressure, etc and it'll kick out a length that works with solid PVC line.
For barrier tubing (eg: Bev Seal Ultra 235) multiply the given length by 1.5 and you should be in the ballpark.
Using 12 psi and just a 1.5' rise (from middle of keg to faucet) assuming kitchen and cold room are on the same level it appears ~36' of 1/4" ID PVC ought to work.

And Dcpcooks is correct, you're definitely going to need to run a cooled trunk line over that distance...

Cheers!

For that distance, off the top of my head I'd recommend 1/4" ID bev seal ultra 235 line. 36' may actually be a bit short for proper pressure drop, but if you use a trunk line with glycol chilling, and then use perlick 650ss faucets, I think it could work well.

I personally have 14 perlick 650ss faucets on my coffin box from the walk-in using 8 ft of the 1/4" ID bev seal ultra. Some of my pours are foamy, but with the longer lines that you would have, I think it would be much better, especially if your lines and faucets/towers were chilled with glycol.

Back