Waiting on Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACo

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals --

I started some of Ed's Apfelwein on 3/1/09. I'm still noticing bubbles from the carboy 1.5 months later (Carboy is at a steady 66 degrees). I know everyone says wait until you can read a newspaper through the carboy, but I mean...come on...I want me some %*^@*($ apfelwein! How much longer...should I stop when I stop seeing bubbles?

Edit: answered my own question...sorry people

Bubbles are not any indication of fermentation. Take a gravity reading.

Best thing to do is to keep a batch aging at all times so you only come across it when it's had a few months to age.

It's probably off-gassing, gravity readings are the only way to tell whether or not you have a finished product. It's also makes for a great excuse to taste your beer ha ha.

I have a question that just occured to me. If you have a lot of Carbon Dioxide gass suspended in the soulution of your wine-does that affect the accuracy of your hydrometer readings? Seems like it would be less dense and give a lower reading until it was out-gassed. Next time I am going to de-gass a wine I think I'll do a before and after hydrometer reading to see if there is any appreciable difference.

Back