Wait 4-6 hours to pitch WL Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRoboto

Reaction score
I searched and searched again for the answer to this... I made a starter solution 1l with DME and yeast nutrient. I took the yeast out of the fridge an hour ago but I have to leave for school in 2 hours and I wont be home until late tonight. So if I pitch my WLP300 early what will it do?

Why does it say to wait 4-6 hours? What would happen if you pitched straight from the fridge?

You don't want to "shock" the yeast by putting it into your wort straight from the fridge, the sudden difference in temperature isn't good for the yeasties. I believe this may result in off flavors, or killing the yeast (I'm sure someone can offer more specifics, but the point is - its not good).

Its OK if your wort sits for several hours, over night, or whatever, as long as it doesnt get infected. It would be best to wait until your yeast is closer to the temperature at which it will be fermenting.

Its OK if your wort sits for several hours, over night, or whatever, as long as it doesnt get infected. It would be best to wait until your yeast is closer to the temperature at which it will be fermenting.

I liked your post both for info and your name EvilDeadAsh. Totally off topic now but check out my pumpkin from last year!

DSCN1733.JPG

Back