Waaaay too high??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbabe30

Reaction score
My first time creating a recipe from scratch and I used:
4.5 lbs wheat DME
1.6 lbs Pilsen DME
1 oz Spalt hops
8 oz mix of 6oz flaked wheat and 2 oz unsalted wheat

whhhhy does my SG look so high??? Am I just reading it wrong?

Attachments

• 97268B54-1CB4-44BF-8A61-6136253C516A.jpeg
    97268B54-1CB4-44BF-8A61-6136253C516A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 175
My first time creating a recipe from scratch and I used:
4.5 lbs wheat DME
1.6 lbs Pilsen DME
1 oz Spalt hops

whhhhy does my SG look so high??? Am I just reading it wrong?

That's actually on the low side ;)

1.034-1.036 so you'll end up with 3% or so beer...

Okay I was just reading it wrong then. Dang, a bit low. Oh well, it’ll still be good hopefully!

I aim for low gravities myself, but I adjust elsewhere.
I used to talk **** about low gravity5-10years ago, if it wasn't 7.5+ it wasn't worth my time. NowI have no issues with sub 5% as long as it tastes good. I care about flavor, not buzz. I drink for enjoyment.

I used to talk **** about low gravity5-10years ago, if it wasn't 7.5+ it wasn't worth my time. NowI have no issues with sub 5% as long as it tastes good. I care about flavor, not buzz. I drink for enjoyment.

+1, I just brewed some 1.016 and 1.030 recently. They're still fermenting away.

I'll say this... It's easier to brew high alcohol content beer than low ABV ones.

Yes, it looks low from here, was this for a 5 gallon batch?
Did you boil it?

When creating recipes you can put your ingredients into a brewing calculator like
Brewer's Friend and get a ballpark number that you can try to hit:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator

I used the brewers friend app and it projected somewhere in the 1.045-1.055 range. And i did a 3 gallon boil and added 2 gallons to it in the carbon. I guess my measurements were off

Total of 6lb dme /5gal water gives you an estimated 1.053g

It is likely that your wort and added water were not evenly mixed.
That ^ is usually the case when topping up with water.

With extract brews, if you don't spill anything and dump the whole kettle content into your fermenter, then top up to the recipe's volume, all your sugars are in there, so your gravity is as calculated.
unsalted?

Unless you mash these together with a diastatic malt (such as 2-row barley malt, wheat malt, etc.) to convert their starches to sugars they won't add diddly squat, except some extra trub. IOW, steeping those as is, won't do a thing.

And don’t forget about temperature correction with your hydrometer. Brewers Friend has a thing for that.

I make sure to cool my samples in the freezer down to 60* before I test!
Check your hydrometer, there should be a temperature calibration on it somewhere visible. Too warm of a sample reduces viscosity resulting in a low reading. The opposite is true for a sample cooler than the calibration temp.

Check your hydrometer, there should be a temperature calibration on it somewhere visible. Too warm of a sample reduces viscosity resulting in a low reading. The opposite is true for a sample cooler than the calibration temp.

the calibration temp on the hydrometer is 60*. I think my wort just wasn’t mixed all the way like others have stated

But bourbon is so delicious.

we're getting kinda :off:, lol....but i like the esters in beer and wine, otherwise i could save even more money and make 1.75's of whiskey for ~$1....

but as i said in one of my own threads, i'm convinced the esters produced during fermentation are weak opiates....

we're getting kinda :off:, lol....but i like the esters in beer and wine, otherwise i could save even more money and make 1.75's of whiskey for ~$1....

but as i said in one of my own threads, i'm convinced the esters produced during fermentation are weak opiates....

Oh, I think she got the answer to her question by now ; )

Back