Volunteering as a brewer in Malawi, Africa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brescht

Reaction score
Hey folks,

You have a passion for beer and brewing? You have some experience in brewing? You always wanted to go to Africa for some time or you are already in Africa? Then here is your chance: The integrated Mandevu Farm near Zomba; Malawi, would like to experiment with local ingredients, e.g. tropical fruits, ginger, etc. to create a new beer. What we are lacking is a volunteer who likes beer as much as we do and brings in the necessary practical skills to get started. The volunteer will be offered free accommodation in our hotel and free food in our exclusive restaurant, transport whenever needed, as well as a lot of beer tasting.

The volunteer should have at least three month time and may start any time it suits him/her from now on.

You are interested in experimenting with beer on our farm? Great! Then send a CV and a letter of motivation to [email protected]. There is no need to be too formal with the letter of motivation, just describe yourself, your passion for beer and your brewing experience. We want to get to know you as a person to see you fit in and not read the usual “It has always been my greatest dream to work for you...” -application blah blah. So best sit down with your favorite beer when you write this. If you need any more information, please check our website http://www.mandevufarm.com/ or send me a message.

P.S.: The flight will not be payed
P.P.S: I am sorry if this thread has been posted twice, I intended to post it yesterday, but I can't find it anywhere with the search tool

I'd be interested as I'm planning on retiring in a month and was looking for someplace interesting to live for a while. Question though is it safe there for Americans.. At least ones that don't act like typical americans.

I'd be interested as I'm planning on retiring in a month and was looking for someplace interesting to live for a while. Question though is it safe there for Americans.. At least ones that don't act like typical americans.

Of course.
Ever been to East Africa?
Probably an amazing experience awaits if you are open minded, friendly, flexible, looking to learn about another part of the world and way of life.:)

Hey Bilsch,
great you are interested! When a friend told me about an opportunity to go to Malawi, the first question I asked myself was the same as yours. Is it safe? So I checked the foreign affairs page about Malawi of the German goverment (I am German). Together with Ghana and some other country I can not remember Malawi is the safest place to be in Africa. Malawi is called the warm heart of africa, because of its generally open friendly and peaceful people. Of course, you have to behave reasonable. This is one of the poorest countries in the world, so one should not walk alone through a dark forest in the middle of the night. There are just too many people who are in need. The spread of HIV is also very high, so one should be very careful about reproductive issues (as they are called in the charity organisation language). Malaria is common here, but as a consequence plenty of medication is available as well. Zomba facilitates some private clinics that are very well equiped and very cheap. Most foreigners go there. Still, a mosquito net for the nights is a must and you should get some vaccinations before coming here. One of the most dangerous things you can do here is taking public overnight transport. You should avoid that, there are lots of accidents.

Apart from the trash (people just don't know what to do about it), Malawi is a very beautiful country. People sing and dance everywhere, being here gives you a completely new perspective on life (even if you have been travelling a lot) and makes you value everyday things more. No matter what you have done at home, just because you have been educated in a developed country, you will be some kind of expert here and, if you choose to, your ideas and actions can change a lot for Malawians. In Zomba there is a vibrant foreign community, mostly European and American teachers, development assistants and missionaries. (some people appreciate such contacts to people from their home countries) They frequent Mandevu farm quite often, because of the good food. :)

I hope I have been able to give you a realistic overview. If you have further questions, please ask.
Not behaving as a typical american might be an advantage ;-)

Timm

Last edited:
Back