volumes for saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
So, Im preparing to bottle the Rye saison recipe floating around here, and Im trying to figure out how much carbonation I want.

style says high, but im wondering what everyone else has experienced here..

Ive searched around and cant come up with a consensus-- there may not be one, but Im hoping to get a better idea posting this.

anyway, any suggestions would be great.

oh yeah, and Im using standard 12 oz bottles, so 3 volumes is max.

I carb my saisons at 3.5 to 4 volumes, in Champagne or Belgian bottles, or in the keg. I also don't enter competitions though.

Sorry for the question, but I'm kind of a newbie...

I'm brewing a Saison soon myself. What do you mean by 3 or 4 volumes when speaking of carbonation?

Thanks! :mug:

Sorry for the question, but I'm kind of a newbie...

I'm brewing a Saison soon myself. What do you mean by 3 or 4 volumes when speaking of carbonation?

Thanks! :mug:

It's the volumetric ratio of dissolved CO2 into beer.

But, to be precise, "1 volume" is 1 liter of CO2 at 20°C at 1 atmosphere in 1 liter of beer.

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
It's the volumetric ratio of dissolved CO2 into beer.

But, to be precise, "1 volume" is 1 liter of CO2 at 20°C at 1 atmosphere in 1 liter of beer.

Cheers!

Thanks guys!
And day trippr, thanks for this little gem. I never knew exactly where that number came from

I've bottled some saisons as high as 4 volumes. I will split my batch and prime it differently sometimes to play with the carbonation levels in the bottles. The 4 volumes is a good level but you need strong bottles and need to use clean glasses otherwise it's a ***** to pour. For my belgian crown bottles I go to 3.0 or 3.5 depending on the terminal gravity.

smokinghole said:
I've bottled some saisons as high as 4 volumes. I will split my batch and prime it differently sometimes to play with the carbonation levels in the bottles. The 4 volumes is a good level but you need strong bottles and need to use clean glasses otherwise it's a ***** to pour. For my belgian crown bottles I go to 3.0 or 3.5 depending on the terminal gravity.

I might just rock like 2.7-2.9, just to be safe. I don't have enough strong bottles.

Anyone know serving temps? If I can serve this at cellar temps, I could keg part of it..bottle the rest

smokinghole said:
There won't be a standard serving temp for every beer. I just keep mine in the fridge and drink it as it warms up. I would guess mid 40s-mid 50s is a good temp to aim for though.

I don't think I can get things quite that cold in my garage. I'll stick to bottles

Latest posts

Back