Vodka as a sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riromero

Reaction score
I use vodka in my airlock and I know that some folks steep spices/flavorings in vodka to be added before bottling/kegging. Now I'm wondering what the sanitizing properties of vodka are. Sometimes I don't need to sanitize a whole container but only a few small items (thermometer, turkey baster, hydrometer, etc). Rather than getting out the Iodophor and mixing a small batch, it would be easier to splash on a few ounces of cheap vodka. As a sanitizing agent, is vodka a) way worse, b) as good as, or c) probably better than Iodophor solution I wonder?

Vodka does not sanitize. Bacteria and other nasties cannot grow in it, but it will not kill them on surface contact.

I keep a small bottle of rubbing alcohol on hand for very small sani-jobs. Wash it down and allow the alcohol to evaporate, then use.

Or a spray bottle of your regular sanitizer (iodine or starsan) works great too.

even rubbing alcohol isn't a great option. sure it helps with bacteria and virus problems, but I believe I've read that it sucks for killing mold spores. Need a lengthy contact time...way longer than something like star san (which is food safe, unlike isopropyl alcohol)

Cost of iodophor used to mix up solution < cost of cheap vodka. No reason to use vodka... You should be able to premix iodophor as long as you keep it dark and cool. General rule of thumb is that if the iodophor solution has colour, it is good to go.

I'm in Micronesia and starsan is unavailable, not gonna happen and I'm going to bottle into plastic bottles as I don't have caps and a capper. What will work or what's the best bet.? I have cheap vodka available and rubbing alcohol as options. Anything I haven't thought of? Any other options you guys can think of?

If you can get betadine or povidone-iodine from a drugstore or from a doctor, mix 1 Tbsp with 5 gallons of water for a bulk sanitizer solution.

Back