Vodka 360 Bottle Label Removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baabaadoo

Reaction score
How do you remove vodka 360 labels?

I've seen guides on how to remove absolute vodka labels, beer/wine bottle labels with the soaking method (w/ oxyclean-free), and the oven heating method.

The vodka 360 flip top bottles are great, but they have this papery label that sits on a plastic tape-like material with an adhesive underneath.

Here's a picture of the bottle.

What's the best method to remove them easily?

Ive never tried that bottle, but ive had good luck with Goo Gone and stickers, but for that id remove the plastic strip so that the paper soaks the chemical. I do either that or warm water soak.

You can pull them off, like you would tape, but the tape type differs between the square label on the back and the front odd shaped one. The front one breaks easily. Was wondering if there's an easier method that loosens the tape because the way I was doing it was a pain.

I used the water method to remove the outter label. Didn't do anything. Might as well just did it with them dry. Wetting them made it worse imo.

I'll attempt to pull the outter label off dry then soak the rest to remove the adhesive, but if anybody has experience with this, please let me know.

Sounds like Brewdog labels; the adhesive can often be coaxed off in one big piece if you work it right while it's dry, but once you get it wet you're hosed. My experience with them (which may or may not apply to your vodka bottles) is that if you get them wet, you can help your cause by scoring them heavily with a knife and doing a hot oxyclean soak, but nothing I've tried has worked very well at that point; you can ruin a pad of steel wool per bottle for decent (if still somewhat sticky) results, but I usually just chuck the bottles - too much effort for too little payoff.

Yuck. I'm going to experiment with them in the mean time. I'll report my findings if I figure out an easier way.

since the bottles are only 750ml,
consider the carbonated lemonade from Aldi's, just a couple of bucks per bottle and the lemonade is great, labels come off and clean with a hot water soak.

I've seen them. They're good, but I get the vodka 360 ones free so I am trying to make them work.

Fill with water, submerge in a gallon of acetone in a SEALED container(acetone fumes are VERY flammable). The acetone will eat the plastic and possibly the adhesive. Acetone can be reused. Make sure you use a metal or glass container, acetone eats many plastics!

Thank you. I've figured out another method. Rub the adhesive with a cooking oil soaked rag or paper towel. They look nice and clean!

I've read that the acetone one works. These bottles have a large area of thin adhesive residue. I've also read that using peanut butter to spread a paste on the area for 10-15 minutes then washing works really well. The oil scrub method seems cheaper so I am going with that one.

Thank you. I've figured out another method. Rub the adhesive with a cooking oil soaked rag or paper towel. They look nice and clean!

I've read that the acetone one works. These bottles have a large area of thin adhesive residue. I've also read that using peanut butter to spread a paste on the area for 10-15 minutes then washing works really well. The oil scrub method seems cheaper so I am going with that one.

Hmm, I might have to try this next time I get a crop of Brewdog bottles or other bottles with nasty adhesive. Do you need to soak the adhesive with oil at all or just rub and the oil will do its work?

I'm aware. I'm strongly against using non-consumable substances. Same reason why most brewers use dye, perfume, and chlorine free cleaners.

Used on the exterior then washed off immediately would not present an issue. I wouldn't submerge a bottle in it! Just enough to wet the label and dissolve the glue. Dish soap and water after removes it.

Citrus based paint thinner is really good for a lot of label/adhesive removal, in my experience.

I don't want anything non-consumable substances touching any of my brewing for the same reason people always use chlorine, dye and perfume free oxygen cleaners. Another question about vodka 360 bottles: Has anyone put carbonated beverages in them? If so, at what volume?

Hmm, I might have to try this next time I get a crop of Brewdog bottles or other bottles with nasty adhesive. Do you need to soak the adhesive with oil at all or just rub and the oil will do its work?

Sorry didn't see this one. Just rub. I usually rub it on with a paper towel on all the adhesive on all bottles then go to the first one I rubbed it on. I think letting it sit helps. I've read that using peanut butter in this way works wonders; I am just cheap and don't wanna use that much peanut butter. Supposedly letting it sit for 15 mins on the adhesive then rubbing it off is all that's needed. The method I mentioned includes a bit of scrubbing, but it works for me.

Shaped like a wine bottle and sold with a still beverage inside, I would be wary of carbonating in these. You could try an experiment with water dosed with a bit of sugar and yeast to, say, 2.0 volumes and then wrap it up in a towel and place it in a bucket for a few weeks, but even if the trial bottle holds up to the pressure I'm not sure I would trust these to not blow up on me if I filled and carbonated a lot of them. Still mead, cider, or wine, or maybe cask-style ale would be fine, but I'd probably not go much further than that in vodka bottles.

I'm going off anecdote, though - maybe someone who has a better understanding of the physics involved would be able to give a more definitive answer.

I use these 360 vodka bottles all the time. I don't bottle condition in them, but fill with growler fillers off of the keg. Haven't had a problem, even with bottles that get up to room temp.

I use these 360 vodka bottles all the time. I don't bottle condition in them, but fill with growler fillers off of the keg. Haven't had a problem, even with bottles that get up to room temp.

So are you saying I can bottle condition in them? Is the carbonation volume you're putting in these equivalent to doing so? How carbonated are yours? How much pressure? Please explain this in very simple ways-I am very new and not very familiar with carbonation. I'm still tempted to do the test that fatdragon suggests.

So are you saying I can bottle condition in them? Is the carbonation volume you're putting in these equivalent to doing so? How carbonated are yours? How much pressure? Please explain this in very simple ways-I am very new and not very familiar with carbonation. I'm still tempted to do the test that fatdragon suggests.

My kegs are usually at 10psi 35F. I fill off of that with minimal foaming, so I should be at about 2.5 volumes of co2. 2.5 volumes at room temperature would be about 30psi. Just last week I filled one with some IPA, then forgot about it and let it get to room temp while sitting on it's side. No leaks.

Of course, caveat here is that I know they've changed their bottles at least once in the past, so they could have changed them again. The first bottle of theirs that I have is quite clear, which makes me think it's borosilicate glass. The newer ones I have noticeably thicker bottoms and have more greenish tint, like your typical soda-ash glass.

Either way, I think you should be fine bottle conditioning in them. If you just have a few of them I'd say go for it. If you have a lot of them, I'd probably try using just a couple first so that you don't lose an entire batch if they don't work out.

Back