Vittles Vault II fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prohl84

Reaction score
I just saw these on US plastics- originally looking for dry grain storage but I think these could make suitable, cheapish fermenters. Just pop a hole in the lid for an airlock and a port at the bottom for drainage. Says they are food grade.
Anybody do this? Anybody have one that may be able to provide a volumetric estimate... looks 15- 20 gal.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=41972&catid=818

I've never used that one, but the original Vittles Vault makes a great fermenter. Like you said, drill a hole in the top, add a grommet and a blow off tube and you're in business. I've also added a spigot in the bottom corner, but you really don't need one if you have a good auto siphon.

I use these with no issues. and your right, they are very inexpensive 10 gallon fermentors.

So just to clarify, the one he posted is big enough for a 10 gallon batch? Do you happen to know how much liquid will fit in it total?

So just to clarify, the one he posted is big enough for a 10 gallon batch? Do you happen to know how much liquid will fit in it total?
Also curious and I am hoping to be doing 10 gallon batches once I get my keggles online

Also curious and I am hoping to be doing 10 gallon batches once I get my keggles online

Yup. They're claiming 11 gallons.
Reference: http://www.gamma2.net/vittles-vault-two-40.htm

I am curious about the lid. It snaps on and then there's the hole that you twist off. People on Amazon seem to hold it in high regard but obviously not many reviews talk about it being a FV. Definitely something to think about though.

I am going to spend $15 and get a 15 gallon tub that once held LME. There was talk about this container that will hold 10 gallons for sure. I actually would buy one but $15 for a 15-gallon jug that I can obtain quicker is nicer. I'm considering a 10-gallon brew on Thanksgiving.

The last link for the container will take you to eBay, fwiw.

I too tried the original vittles vaults for fermenting and quickly switched to 15 and 30 gal drums for a more reliable seal.

The problem with the vittles vault is it would "breath" under positive or negative pressures, even with a large blow-off in place.
The gamma lid's o-ring worked surprisingly well, but the bucket like seal between the gamma and the container leaked, venting gas (and occasionally krausen) during fermentation.

The big one held about 22 gals which left comfortable head space for my 17 gal batches.

The new model shown appears to be about the same volume, but the square gasket looks like it might be even more problematic.

With wine this isn't so much of a concern, but I worried about drawing in unfiltered air when temps dropped after the active fermentation passed.

I too tried the original vittles vaults for fermenting and quickly switched to 15 and 30 gal drums for a more reliable seal.

The problem with the vittles vault is it would "breath" under positive or negative pressures, even with a large blow-off in place.
The gamma lid's o-ring worked surprisingly well, but the bucket like seal between the gamma and the container leaked, venting gas (and occasionally krausen) during fermentation.

The big one held about 22 gals which left comfortable head space for my 17 gal batches.

The new model shown appears to be about the same volume, but the square gasket looks like it might be even more problematic.

With wine this isn't so much of a concern, but I worried about drawing in unfiltered air when temps dropped after the active fermentation passed.
That's exactly what the airlock is for and why we use vodka/sanitizer in them. Not a concern.

Just noticed that Amazon has These vittles vaults with Prime (which I have) and it is cheaper than the plastics website with Free 2 day shipping for prime.

I'm gonna pull the trigger on one and hope it fits in my fermentation chamber

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you could nick-pick anything. But as far as reliable, inexpensive single container fermentation of 10 gallon batches. You'll have a hard time bearing the price other than free
Easy to clean and not a huge hard to store container

I bought one of those 50 pound stackable and am brewing 10 gallons of ale in it now. I think its working pretty well right now. With 10 gallons in it there's probably another 4 inches to the top

"That's exactly what the airlock is for and why we use vodka/sanitizer in them. Not a concern."

Until it bounces off the ceiling.
Then your airlock does about as much good as those cheesy glued together foam gaskets.

A 15 gal food grade drum is plenty big enough for 10 gal batches.
They are 10x stronger, designed to be sealed tight, and can be had new for less than a 1st gen vittles vault.
A 3/4" mpt x hose barb easily adds a blow off or air lock.

"That's exactly what the airlock is for and why we use vodka/sanitizer in them. Not a concern."

Then your airlock does about as much good as those cheesy glued together foam gaskets.

They are 10x stronger, designed to be sealed tight, and can be had new for less than a 1st gen vittles vault.

I understand what you're saying, but I dont have a clue where to buy a food grade drum. I'll check my LHBS tomorrow, but I've not remembered seeing one other than the large blue drums which I believe are >50 gallons.

The stackable does appear more rugged and most importantly- reliably airtight. The Mk. II is significantly cheaper and the (square) gasket looks similar to the round one on the Vintner's Best Fermenter which I use for beer. I doubt I would use the stackable version as a fermenter since other, proven options are cheaper.

PosterGuy- definitely curious about the 15gal barrels you have mentioned. The mental image of krausen oozing from the lid of a vittles vault is both awe inspiring and discouraging at the same time. :mug:

Hello- the ebay link'd vessel looks tempting too.

Never even thought about asking LHBS what they do w/ their spent syrup containers but that just occurred to me as well.

Really my batches have outgrown my bottling bucket and if I'm gonna drill a hole in something and add hardware it might as well be a long-ish term solution- something at least 10 gal. So I guess as a bottling bucket/ short term primary it would work fine. Only at this brewing thing a year and a half and there is no looking back- too awesome; more addictive than drinking the stuff.

I used the LME containers a couple of times, but for me, they were just a pain to clean. I got one from my LBS for free and it was nice, but like I said, the cleaning was not as easy as the vaults.

I see what you mean, but I pulled the tirgger anyone on a VV anyway since my LHBS does not have any of the 15g vessels available. I'm in for one when they have an empty though.

Just noticed that Amazon has These vittles vaults with Prime (which I have) and it is cheaper than the plastics website with Free 2 day shipping for prime.

How did it work out for you?

How did it work out for you? I am really interested in these.

How did it work out for you? I am really interested in these.

Sorry for the late response. I now have 2 of these as fermenters. they work great, but dont be alarmed if your airlock does not bubble away. The seal is not perfect, and will let some CO2 escape during fermentation.

I have not had an infection yet. The top is sealed enough to not allow any oxygen to flow back into the container.

All i did was drill a hole in the top of the screw lid and throw a grommet on it with my airlock. Sometimes it bubbles and is sealed well, sometimes not.

I will NOT recommend these for any type of pressure fermentation as they wlil not hold above maybe ~1-3 PSI.

Back