Vitamix to crush grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotsPheer

Reaction score
I'm slowly moving into partial mash/all grain batches and I was wondering if anyone has used a vitamix to crush their grain. I've assembled a recipe I want to make and buying the whole grain is significantly cheaper than the pre-crushed.

I have a rolling-pin...just wondering if the vitamix is a viable option or if it just makes grainbutter.

you mean a blender?

I've used a blender to produce coarse oat flour from rolled oats. Not for brewing.

I think given the speed and the whole concept of cutting blades it would be difficult to get a consistent grist without having too much flour in it.

I should have been more specific, the vitamix has a blade specifically for grains and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it for homebrew grain. I've powdered a golf ball in this thing with the regular blade...

Regardless, thanks for the response and I thought it'd turn to flour as well. I'll read the other thread about purchasing a grain crusher.

Ah, ok. Well, based on a youtube video, it appears it could work, but you'd be running a lot of quick, small batches.

I'd say that if you don't have it already, that $144 should go toward a roller mill.

Last edited by a moderator:
You want to leave the grain husks intact...that blender seems like it will just turn everything into a powder.

You want to leave the grain husks intact...that blender seems like it will just turn everything into a powder.

My concern would be whether there is a point in it's cycle where all grains are cut up at least a couple times but there is not an excess of fine particles.

That point might be there, but, can you imagine doing 12 pounds of grain a couple cups at a time? For the $144 that carafe & blade cost from pleasant hill grain?

When I was going to AG my wife had recommended using the one we have, I opted to just get a Corona mill, it seemed like alot of work trying to crush 10lbs of grain. look up the "Ugly junk Corona mill' thread here it is full of alot of useful info.

buying the whole grain is significantly cheaper than the pre-crushed.

Wait... where are you getting your grain from? All the places I have ordered from allow you to select "crushed" or "not crushed" and there is no price difference.

I also own a vitamix and wouldn't use it for brewing grains. I can make a mean almond butter though!

Wait... where are you getting your grain from? All the places I have ordered from allow you to select "crushed" or "not crushed" and there is no price difference.

I also own a vitamix and wouldn't use it for brewing grains. I can make a mean almond butter though!

There are three LHBS here and they all offer the use of their roller mills gratis.

haven't heard of a web store that charges extra for crushing.

I could never get away with owning a vitamix - I know too many of the founders of Blendtec. I'm pretty sure i used to go to church with the Will It Blend guy, too.

huge1s said:
Wait... where are you getting your grain from? All the places I have ordered from allow you to select "crushed" or "not crushed" and there is no price difference?

There's a price difference at my LHBS.

But more importantly, it allows you to buy in bulk (from the cheapest source). My club does group buys... costs me about $20 for a 55lb sack of 2-row. At that kind of price, a mill pays for itself in no time.

There's a price difference at my LHBS.

But more importantly, it allows you to buy in bulk (from the cheapest source). My club does group buys... costs me about $20 for a 55lb sack of 2-row. At that kind of price, a mill pays for itself in no time.

There's an LHBS here that will sell you a 55lb bag and let you keep it at the store so you can come by and run some through their mill whenever you want.

I haven't looked into how competitive that price is, though.

I've been ordering from Northern Brewer or sometimes I just let google shopping find the cheapest grain I'm looking for. It is on average an extra 15-20 cents per pound to have it crushed... that's like 10-15% of the grain cost just to crush it.

Anyways, my girlfriend already has a Vitamix which is why I was seeing if I could get away with using it. I'm going to purchase a mill.

Thanks for all the info guys

I just got me a Corona mill from Austin for $29 yesterday. I built a platform for it and modified it so I can use my cordless drill on it today. I got the space set just right, so I get the right crush. I've only crushed 2 lbs of MO with it, and I already love it. It tears thru that grain really quick, and leaves a crush that looks just like the crush I was getting at my LHBS. I think this is one of the best purchases I've made for beer, EVER!

You could always try it, but if it was me I wouldn't waste my time. My Vitamix pretty much destroys everything I put in it. I have the grain blade unit and it is made to make flour. I suppose you could put in a small amount and pulse it, but you would have a tough time making a consistant batch.

I use my Vitamix daily to pulverize fruit to make smoothies for breakfast. Great for that purpose but totally inappropriate for milling grain. I also use the VM to make bread flour but that process involves making flour and not worrying about having enough of a ratio of husk to flour bacause there are no husks to speak of. One of the best investments that an AG brewer can make is to invest in. 2 or 3 roller mill.

Back