Vinegary cider - dump it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
So, I made my annual batch of cider, but unlike last year I forwent the campden tablets. Initially my cider tasted fine, but the longer it sits (batch aging), the more vinegary it is getting. Now, I know that can be welcome (a la Duchesse de Bourgogne), but I doubt anyone wants to drink apple cider vinegar. So, what do I do with it? Dumping it is easy. I could save a little for cooking, but I don't think I need 5 gallons of apple cider vinegar.

Also, the weird thing to me is that it never showed ANY signs of infection. Got a normal, vigorous fermentation using US-05, no pellicles, but the flavor is pretty distinct.

Also, the weird thing to me is that it never showed ANY signs of infection. Got a normal, vigorous fermentation using US-05, no pellicles, but the flavor is pretty distinct.

My S-I-L made a 2 gal batch of cider, fermented with S-04, and bottled. Every bottle was good, except for the one he gave me that he says must have had a bad seal. It was vinegar.

Yeah, if the vinegar is getting stronger, it's infected. And there's also some indication it's got access to oxygen, because acetobacter uses oxygen to convert the alcohol into acetic acid. I'd save it and see if it's good for cooking! Apple cider vinegar is tasty.

Keep what vinegar you can use on fish & chips, salads, etc. then give away some bottles for Christmas gifts. I definitely wouldn't toss it. Malt vinegar & cider vinegar are very useful in the kitchen! :rockin:

Is it safe to bottle / cap this? Or will the acetobacter continue to produce CO2 that will eventually lead to bottle bombs? Also, I don't want carbonated apple cider vinegar, so should I wait longer before bottling it?

If it's done converting th3e alcohol to vinegar, you can bottle it without fear of any Co2. It should stay flat. The acetobacter bacteria need o2 to convert the alcohol to vinegar.

Throw a hunk of pork/beef/ chicken in a crockpot with a bbq packet and some of your cider and let it ride. A Carolina style bbq treat. A little brown sugar can bring down the ph if it has too much bite.

Back