Vinegar Taste after 10 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titegtnodI

Reaction score
I measured my gravity only after harvesting (I didn't know to measure the opening gravity until it was too late). It's 1.005. I tastes very much like vinegar, I read this means it's infected. I've sterilized everything I use including the siphon kit. It seems to still be producing co2 because there's a lot of pressure. There were no bubbles in my airlock during fermentation. I'm using a beer making kit.

I have a glass carboy but the instructions told me to use my plastic bucket, so I used that.

So what's the verdict? Does it need to age or is everything finished / done? :(

Edit: It's a stout. And I don't see any "strands" which are supposed to be a warning sign.

Edit2: It doesn't smell like vinegar. It smells really good

How long has it been in the fermenter? What was your recipe and what yeast did you use?

The kit doesn't say what type of yeast it comes with. I dumped the contents of the can in (to the fermenter) with 2L of boiling water and 1kg of dextrose. I then topped it up with 20L of cold water, then the yeast, and mixed until I felt like it was mixed in well (about 8mins). I put the lid on, and the airlock filled half-way with a sodium metabisulphate solution.

It was in the fermenter for 10 days. I haven't bottled yet, just took some out and tried it. The little I took out is currently in the refrigerator. Also when I looked at it, it didn't look like any infected beer pictures I saw on "post your infected brew".

Now that I'm thinking about it, it might taste more like dextrose than vinegar. I just raked it into the glass carboy and the airlock is bubbling about 1 every 20 seconds (I didn't count, this is just a guess).

Don't let the airlock fool you. Airlock activity can either be good or bad. And if you rack the beer at all. You will get airlock activity, cause you will disturbed absorbed CO2. Now if u hit your FG and still getting activity and go below your FG a lot , possible infection.

It doesn't really matter what you use to ferment it in. Plastic or glass, u need to make sure you have enough head space 5 gal batch needs 6-6.5 gal.
And if u rack in secondary you want as little headspace as u can get.

Also a lot of ppl will argue that u dont really need to secondary unless u are clearing out your beer. I personally like to just leave in primary till I bottle.

Hope this helps a little, what I am really saying is don't freak out too much cause its prolly ok. Keep an eye on it, if the vinegar taste gets worst, than you just made vinegar. Find out how it may have gotten infected. Making beer is 90% cleaning. My first kit was also a downer, and the kit may have also been old.

Good luck! Happy Brewing!

Don't let the airlock fool you. Airlock activity can either be good or bad. And if you rack the beer at all. You will get airlock activity, cause you will disturbed absorbed CO2. Now if u hit your FG and still getting activity and go below your FG a lot , possible infection.

It doesn't really matter what you use to ferment it in. Plastic or glass, u need to make sure you have enough head space 5 gal batch needs 6-6.5 gal.
And if u rack in secondary you want as little headspace as u can get.

Also a lot of ppl will argue that u dont really need to secondary unless u are clearing out your beer. I personally like to just leave in primary till I bottle.

Hope this helps a little, what I am really saying is don't freak out too much cause its prolly ok. Keep an eye on it, if the vinegar taste gets worst, than you just made vinegar. Find out how it may have gotten infected. Making beer is 90% cleaning. My first kit was also a downer, and the kit may have also been old.

Good luck! Happy Brewing!

Thanks! I only racked because I do just want to clear it. I hope it turns out okay, I appreciate the info.

Yeah I cleaned and sanitized everything! It's not my first time sanitizing so I'll be a little disappointing in myself if I didn't do it correctly haha.

I had the temperature at 21, I just lowered it to 20. Is lower generally better? I hear a hot ferment is bad and there are a lot (A LOT) of different opinions on this and that in the homebrew world as I found out. It's winter here (and very very cold XD) so it's challenging to keep the fermenter warm yet still be in an area where if it explodes it won't gross half my living-room XD.

Edit: I probably won't rack next time but instead just leave it in the glass carboy. I like it more, I can see what's happening XD. There's something comforting about the transparency ...

titegtnodI said:
Thanks! I only racked because I do just want to clear it. I hope it turns out okay, I appreciate the info.

Yeah I cleaned and sanitized everything! It's not my first time sanitizing so I'll be a little disappointing in myself if I didn't do it correctly haha.

I had the temperature at 21, I just lowered it to 20. Is lower generally better? I hear a hot ferment is bad and there are a lot (A LOT) of different opinions on this and that in the homebrew world as I found out. It's winter here (and very very cold XD) so it's challenging to keep the fermenter warm yet still be in an area where if it explodes it won't gross half my living-room XD.

Edit: I probably won't rack next time but instead just leave it in the glass carboy. I like it more, I can see what's happening XD. There's something comforting about the transparency ...

It depends on the yeast on the temperature. Sometimes u get different flavors depending of lower or higher. I wouldn't do anything over 21 Celsius in less it says to. Most of the time u leave it at 21 till fermentation starts and lower to recommended. I'd recommend to keep it nearer to 18-19 Celsius. I have a stout going now at 18-19 Celsius range. I use Fahrenheit and 65-68 is the range I like.

Too keep it warm are u using a temp controller?
Heard some ppl using everything from a ceramic heater to a lightbulb in a tin can with some holes. I'd give links, but I am on my phone. Search aquarium temp controllers stc-1000 or 100 can't remember. Its a Very big forum. Check my profile cause I have a link to that forum.

Edit:

Here is link to the temp controller
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/stc-1000-wiring-diagram-question-362214/

Taste as this point does not always indicate if the beer will be good or bad. You said it is a stout so even after bottling it may take some time to carb and tast good.

Taste as this point does not always indicate if the beer will be good or bad. You said it is a stout so even after bottling it may take some time to carb and tast good.

Thanks!

I just realized I did my reading wrong. It's 1.055 not 1.005. This means it didn't ferment right? So, did I just have bad yeast or did I do something terribly wrong? I got this can on clearance, it's what prompted me to try brewing, is it possible it was simply expired?

Edit:

It depends on the yeast on the temperature. Sometimes u get different flavors depending of lower or higher. I wouldn't do anything over 21 Celsius in less it says to. Most of the time u leave it at 21 till fermentation starts and lower to recommended. I'd recommend to keep it nearer to 18-19 Celsius. I have a stout going now at 18-19 Celsius range. I use Fahrenheit and 65-68 is the range I like.

Too keep it warm are u using a temp controller?
Heard some ppl using everything from a ceramic heater to a lightbulb in a tin can with some holes. I'd give links, but I am on my phone. Search aquarium temp controllers stc-1000 or 100 can't remember. Its a Very big forum. Check my profile cause I have a link to that forum.

Edit:

Here is link to the temp controller
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/stc-1000-wiring-diagram-question-362214/

I'm just using a gas fireplace and fans to move the air to wherever I keep the carboy. Neat ideas thanks.

Ten days with no fermentation is not a good thing. Taste the wort again if it taste ok pitch some more yeast. If not dump it and try again.

Ten days with no fermentation is not a good thing. Taste the wort again if it taste ok pitch some more yeast. If not dump it and try again.

I guess I'll dump and try again. Next time I'll put some effort into making whatever is in the can (and of course read up on it) or get a can deemed a higher quality.

Large amounts of dextrose taste like acetaldehyde or green apple to me. Almost starcy and cider like.

Really? I tried a bit on my finger, I think it just tastes plain awful. I love green apple!

Cheers guys, and thanks for the help!

Edit:

Airlock is still bubbling slowly. Does this mean the yeast may have finally activated (though I probably lost a bunch raking I'd figure), or does this mean nothing?

What was the temp you pitched at? did you see signs of vigorious fermentation? reading your OP you didnt mention cooling the 20L of boiling water after you mixed it all up befor you added the yeast.

EDIT: reading is hard! yeah 2L boiling 20L cool water nevermind im an idiot sometimes

Latest posts

Back