Vinegar (acetic acid) to correct sparge ph

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topend

Reaction score
Anyone have success using plain old vinegar to correct sparge ph? It's an option in the Bru'n spreadsheet but I've never heard of anyone using it.

Acetic acid is far too 'flavorful' for use in most beer styles, but could be an interesting flavor contributor in a style that it would be appropriate in (ie, wood aged and sour beers). The problem with some vinegars is that they don't indicate what the strength or percentage is so that its contribution can be calculated in that acidity calculator. Then you're left with gauging the amount to add via trial and error or pH testing.

you could use it but it's going to change the overall flavor of your beer. If your pH is that far off, which it really shouldn't be, you should look into other ways to change acidity.

I have some ph 5.2 buffer powder that i keep for emergencies. I've only needed it once, since i make perfect complimentary water profiles using RO water and salts. I havea much fun designing water profiles as i do designing recipies, you should give it a try!

Back