Vine lease experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikder82

Reaction score
My wife recently showed me a groupon offer in which you can "buy" 2 vines in a Napa vineyard. You can be as involved as you'd like with the growing and harvesting process. The offer gets you the fruit of the two vines to produce your own wine. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth the $119? It seems like a good idea, but very dependent on how good the growing season is.

I have done a lot of grape picking, 2 vines would get you around one 5 gallon bucket of grapes, maybe about 20 pounds of grapes. That's not much for $119. On the other hand, if they let you participate in things like pruning, leaf plucking and harvest, it would teach you a lot about how vineyards work and wine gets made, might be worth the money for the fun and the learning experience. I had to learn the hard way, whole weeks spent in the vineyard under the hot sun. Just looking after 2 vines sounds more like fun.

Back