Vigorous fermentation w/ mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double_D

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought you guys would get a kick out of this. I just got this vittles vault. It holds 13 gallons I had just shy of ten in there. I fermented my new stout recipe at 68* I made a yeast starter same as always and I woke up thinking "i wonder if I should make a blow off tube for the beer".. it only took about 20 minutes to clean it up but FML..

DSC00953.jpg

Yikes ;\ I'm paranoid so blowoff tube goes on EVERY batch of beer. How much did you lose?

And to think I mildly freaked at the beer gods sending "the blob" out my airlock to punish me for high brew temps. What in the world did you do to anger them so???:D

Maybe a pint sprayed/leaked out I hadn't had this problem previously. The first batch I did in this was with a belgian yeast blend that said it definitely needed 33% head space so I thought I was good with out the blow off tube. I have a ranco etc set for 67 with a 2 degree differential. You should have seen the air lock bubbling. This was about 20 hours after pitching and tonight the wort is down to 1.019. That's 6.8% from nothing in a little over 3 days

i almost exploded an ale pale last week... the lid was blown up like a balloon and I'm lucky the airlock came out with a little spray of foam only. Dem yeasties be happy! hahahaha

It must be going around...we brewed up a "Fat Tire" clone last night; woke up this morning to beer goodness everywhere!! It has a blow off tube on it, but man them yeasties are working hard!!!

I had the same thing occur in my 6.5 gal conical. Used US-05 yeast. Have yeast coming out
the lid, the air lock hole, everywhere. First time after 6th usage.

Maybe the US-05 is good about now... I had a mellow brew with nice head space get "excited" on me too. Only took 6 hours after starting it for it to clog the airlock... blow-off tube for NOW ON, on EVERY brew!

I've added fermcap to my regimen on my last two beers to avoid blow off. It definitely negated the need for a blow off tube but haven't got them far enough along to say whether it impacts the finished product yet. A few drops did the trick, but I'm just paranoid about adding things to my beer that may impact head retention, flavor, etc.

I had this happen to an imperial IPA that was fermenting in my fermentation chamber. It was a pain to pull out all six carboys that there in there at the time. Cleaning each one then cleaning the fermentation freezer, talk about a nightmare.

It was worth it though.

I've really only ran into this with the Irish yeast (1084? please don't quote me it's late and I've had a looong day) from wyeast. I do American2 for the assorted Ipa's and a yeast blend for anything wheat/belgian and 1028 for my bitter. I use problem lightly here. It's a great yeast and always gives me a great product.

Back