Vigorous fermentation and blowoff tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffbeer71

Reaction score
We recently brewed the Bavarian Hefeweizen recipe from Northern Brewer, which uses Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen yeast. We discovered, while making a yeast starter for this, that the goes crazy during the fermentation process and would benefit from a blowoff tube as opposed to an airlock during fermentation. Glad we used ablowoff tube because we would probably have a mess on our hands. So my question to everyone is have you found any other yeasts that you would definitely need a blowoff tube for? We usually use an airlock during fermentation and don't want to get caught by surprise by a yeast that is super vigorous like the 3068.

Note: The initial yeast starter was such a mess that we decided to not pitch it and use a fresh package of yeast. We also skipped doing a yeast starter because we found that stressing this yeast out for a Hefeweizen actually contributes an ester-y flavor to the wort and would be beneficial. Obviously the yeast is kicking ass in fermentation. We did add yeast nutrient during the boil as well.

I've started to use a blowoff on almost all of my batches. It doesn't seem like it is a function of the type of yeast (although there are definitely some more vigorous fermenters), but a combination of other factors. Pitching onto a cake, lots of hops, high OG, etc. all seem to make a batch more blowoff-prone.

Back