Vienna malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tderanleau

Reaction score
Is there any flavor differences in the Weyermann vs briess/other brands of vienna mart? I’ve heard Weyermann has much more flavor in their vienna compared to other brands

There are most definitely variances in flavor and other characteristics across maltsters. Big enough (for you) to notice? Does the difference make it worth the price delta (to you)? Up to you.

I feel that the Weyermann Barke Vienna has more flavor that say a Briess Vienna or even regular Weyermann Vienna, but regular Weyermann Vienna vs say Briess, I would say the Weyermann gets a very slight edge in more flavor. There are some great craft malt houses across the country that make some great Vienna malts also.

I haven't had the chance to compare the new "old world style" American malts to the traditional European ones, but I find the American to be sweeter and more less grainy. That being said, my favorite are the Avangard Malts. I feel like they are grainer and drier even than the Weyermann.
Definitely something you'll have to try in a horizontal tasting as its very difficult to tell a difference with any time between. I'm fortunate to have had the opportunity while working at a homebrew store to sample the malts raw, just chewing them up to get the flavor. That really helped me get a feel for what malts taste like what.

Back