Vienna Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillyP

Reaction score
I called my local homebrew shop and they told me they were out of Vienna Malt at the moment. I really only need .10lb of a Vienna Malt. I thought it would be cool to try and experiment with kilning my own. Anyone got any ideas on the specs Temp/Time? From what I found you either start with 2 row or 6 row. Any help?

P.S. I know it's probably on here already and you're going to point it out for me, I'd thank you for that too. :ban:

This site has worked for me. You gotta convert the C to F.

http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Methods/Sanders/roasting.shtml

Ordinary Malts - pale malt as base (e.g. Schnooner)

Dortmund
95c one hour

Vienna
100c one hour

Light Munich
105c one to two hours

Dark Munich
110c one to two hours

Amber malt
140c one hour

Biscuit malt
150 to 170c up to an hour (depends on type of flavour desired)

Brown malt
180c up to half an hour

Chocolate
200c up to an hour

Thanks Hammy71 for the fast reply. I've now bookmarked that site. I looked for it for about an hour...

Does .1lb of Vienna do anything noticeable in a beer??? I've made 100% Vienna beer's that tasted pretty "normal", not too radically different from 2-row, just a little sweeter or toasted maybe.

You know I hardly doubt it, but it's in the recipe so I'll give it a go...:mug:

Okay got done roasting the 2 row to Vienna Malt. I sure smells like Peanut butter to me for some reason. Taste delicious and I can't wait till tomorrow to brew..

Back